Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the leaving cert out of school + questions?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I left school due to some personal problems at the start of the year, I was starting 6th year. Not long after, I started regretting that decision, and now I've decided to do my leaving cert in a college in September, as I've noticed even decently paid unskilled jobs require a leaving cert, and I don't want to be left earning ten euro an hour maximum for the rest of my life. I have a few questions, firstly, I am quite a bright student when I'm motivated to do something, I'm the kind of student who would get 600 points easily if I was motivated to do it. I don't think doing the leaving cert in a year would be too hard, are there colleges in Dublin that offer that facility? Any of the post leaving cert courses I'd like to do have quite low points, so I think I could achieve that in a year definitely with a good amount of study.
    Secondly, one subject I could never get my head around was Irish, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how hard the teacher, I simply could not get my head around it, assuming the college course I want to do doesn't have Irish as a specific requirement, would I be able to do my leaving cert without Irish with no problem? Or would I have difficulty getting into colleges?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're as bright and motivated as you say you are and got as far as starting 6th year, some PLC courses ( is that what you mean by post Leaving Cert. courses, or do you mean 3rd level courses?) may take you in without a Leaving Cert..

Otherwise, there are lots of places offer the Leaving Cert. in a year. Some you have to pay quite a bit for, others not. The Irish issue I cant help you with, though I will say that a 'hard' teacher is not always a good teacher.

Advertisement