Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please, how do I find work experience?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been looking everywhere for work experience since last month and can't seem to find a place that will hire me. Most of them tell me to email them but non have ever replied! Seriously.

I am currently enrolled on a Fetac level 5 course (Computer Programming and Multimedia). We're supposed to find work experience for 10 working days from 7/2/14 to 21/2/14 and for a minimum of 2 hours each day.

The tutor said it has to be computer or IT related, i.e PC shops, PC repair shops, Software companies, web deign companies etc. I'm actually the perfect candidate for a PC repair shop, so I called and emailed almost all repair shops in Dublin and they either said no or didn't reply.

So can anyone help me here? Any information at all will be helpful because I literally don't know what to do now.

Thanks,
    Kingsley.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

kingsley16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been looking everywhere for work experience since last month and can't seem to find a place that will hire me. Most of them tell me to email them but non have ever replied! Seriously.

I am currently enrolled on a Fetac level 5 course (Computer Programming and Multimedia). We're supposed to find work experience for 10 working days from 7/2/14 to 21/2/14 and for a minimum of 2 hours each day.

The tutor said it has to be computer or IT related, i.e PC shops, PC repair shops, Software companies, web deign companies etc. I'm actually the perfect candidate for a PC repair shop, so I called and emailed almost all repair shops in Dublin and they either said no or didn't reply.

So can anyone help me here? Any information at all will be helpful because I literally don't know what to do now.

Thanks,
    Kingsley.

Try the smaller IT/PC businesses over the bigger ones but I suggest to call into them not just emailing them as they less likely to reply. Jobbridge employers are quiet restrictive they only take people on as jobbridge and nothing else even if you offer your free services. I also recommend you put an ad in the local paper in your area or in the broadsheet papers. Might be worth doing even if you only got one response be better than nothing?

A volunteering organisation looking for someone with IT/Computer/Website skills might be worth looking into too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

I would suggest that you try some of the community based charities in your area. If the work experience is free, they would probably be more than delighted to help you out, as you will be helping them out.

Advertisement