Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SolidWorks GPU

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭

I probably know the answer already, but I just want some communal thought on workstation GPUs.

This semester we're using Soldiworks 2012 and I'm sure the department will upgrade to 2014 and beyond; there are definitely some performances issues with Intel HD 4000 :rolleyes: The program will run and you can work a sketch plane just fine, and manipulate a 3D part but it doesn't take a very sophisticated level of part complexity to notice the machine struggle with the math. For instance, selecting an element and watching the viewing window redraw/re-highlight the wireframe piece by piece, so theres a 3-4 second delay between action and response when in the feature panel. Also, backgrounds and materials-textures don't even render, which is probably a program safeguard.

So as soon as I can get the University IT to put the program on my desktop (it has to be 'forced' on to Windows 8.1 in some matter secret) I plan to procure a Workstation card. There are 2 5770s in there but I know from previous research, Radeon/Gaming cards don't have the pipelines that are suited for the type of computer science that is crunched in these programs. I'll definitely try them out, but I don't expect mind-blowing performance.

Does anyone on the board have any experience using workstation cards on more complicated projects? I want to know what kind of price range I should really be aiming for, I don't want to overkill it and get some stupid card that costs a grand and I don't want to end up with something insufficient that I found for $50 on craigslist.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Hey, how complex are your models??

I've been using solidworks and pro engineer for years with an amd 5850 gaming card and never had any problems. I've had big models in there too, including a full Harrier jet I did as a college project, and there was no slow down.

For my PC in work I have a workstation card (Quadro FX580) and honestly I can't see any improvement over the gaming card. Maybe the models have to be huge?!

Even on my laptop, also HD4000 powered, it runs fine.... once you fix the openGL problems. I made a video on it here, have a look at it, give it a try and see if solidworks runs significantly smoother on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

Outstanding ! Perhaps you can help me. I intend instaling video editing prog Prem Pro 6.1 on my laptop. 3rd Gen i7, 6Gb Ram, HD 4000. Any advice for a similar tweak?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

mrtom wrote: »
    Outstanding ! Perhaps you can help me. I intend instaling video editing prog Prem Pro 6.1 on my laptop. 3rd Gen i7, 6Gb Ram, HD 4000. Any advice for a similar tweak?

Hi there, I use a lot of adobe video products on the PC too, but there are no particular tweaks that I can think of. With solidworks, it was nearly unusable prior to the fix on my laptop, but all the adobe stuff seems to work without any kind of difficulty anyway with the given hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On intel HD, some edges can be frustrating as hell. Havent tried SW on the Desktop because well ive been too lazy to bring it to IT. The thing weighs plenty.

Especially highlighting schematic threads and helixes, it can sit there for a good full minute highlighting that fupping edge before it lets you do anything. Also sometimes if you carve a manual schematic thread a glitch in the IGP can make the screws appear hollow afterward and all sorts of other crazy bs.

The models themselves arent terribly complex. I think the most parts Ive had in one assembly is around 20 including toolkit pieces but its tough to say whether it becomes a memory or cpu issue at that point, it can get bogged down pretty badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement