Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting exempt from irish?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

im 15 and in transition year, i was born in Scotland and so were my parents and the rest of my family. i moved here when i was about 7. My parents were told i had to do Irish as i moved here before i was 11.

Although a friend of mine recently moved school (good private school) and was told by her guidance Councillor and she quotes "If you were born in northern Ireland and you came to Ireland at 1 day old or even a few hours later you wouldn't have to do Irish". She got exempt straight away.

I've also read several posts on here from people saying the age 11 cut of thing is a lie and they moved here from England when they were 5 and got exempt! I told my mum this but she doesn't believe me because of what the official rules say. But from what i'm hearing and reading if I apply I should get exempt.

I'm afraid to go to my guidance councillor because i know she'll just say ''irish is beneficial to your learning and you moved here before 11 blah blah blah''
    So does anyone know could i get exempt or how I go about this? btw i got a c in jc ordinary level for irish, thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You are not exempt from doing Irish in a state-funded secondary school.

You are exempt from Irish as a requirement for entry to the National University of Ireland etc.

They're two separate things, but it always causes confusion.

Advertisement