Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lebanon Veterans?

Options
  • 21-01-2014 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are any Lebanon Veterans on Boards. especially those with service in the early Bn's...43rd through to 74th?

I was thinking of going back to visit the old place sometime this year (or early next year) depending on my fragile finances, health, and the everchanging military situation there.
    Flights from Dublin to Beirut around 380 Euro (round trip)
    Stay in Tyre City, 4 nights for roughly 300 euro
    Visit old Irishbatt A/O, inc Irish UNIFIL Memorial, etc
    Visit the sights in Tyre City...historic ruins, location of Ben Hur Chariot race (I've been there and it's some sight) then arse about for a day or two and drink loads of Arabic Coffee before flying back to Dublin.

Well.... anyone like to go? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd love to go, but finances (lack of) prevent it.. I'm still serving, although with no desire to serve with UNIFIL again (been there, done that etc) ~ early trips ~ 63rd Bn, A 'Coy in Haddatha & later HQ 'Coy in Shamrock.. also done three weeks during the 62-63rd rotation with B'Coy out in Tulin.

I loved Tulin, I thought it was a beautiful area and relatively peaceful compared to the rest of the A.O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I spent only two weeks in Tulin with the 66th because A Coy were 'stood down' after they shot the **** out of the Amal Militia!
    (It was the only place I ever heard birds singing in Lebanon)
    I was with the 1st UNIFIL MP Coy '78/79, 52nd, (Inf) 66th,(Inf) and 74th(Inf)
    Mostly C COY Bra****, Shaqra.
    I went back some years ago as a civvie to Beirut / Tyre.
    Got a 'Taxi' down around the old stamping grounds.
    Would love to go back before I gets too old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

88th Bn here :o........I'm only a young lad! :)

Tis a good idea, I hope a few others feel like making the trip with ya!

88th Bn here :o........I'm only a young lad! :) I'M A RED ARSE

I was out on the 88th too.. The IDF were gone and the old sweats were bored off their tits :P

But it was interesting seeing the enclave and building the new camps.

I only mentioned the early Bn's because I was hoping some-one of my own 'vintage' would travel.
    Didn't mention my plan to the 'c/o' yet!
    She might scupper my travel plans before I get off the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Had a look at the old AO on Bing maps arial photography. There are a huge amount of houses built around Al Jurn/Majdal Silim where I spent my time.

Was talking to a Lebanese friend of mine last week and he said there's a new Hospital and Apartment complex built beside our old 69 Bravo O.P. in the 'C' Coy A/O.
    Fair play to the Lebanese, they are great people to pick themselves up after everything that's happened to them down through the years.

Was talking to a Lebanese friend of mine last week and he said there's a new Hospital and Apartment complex built beside our old 69 Bravo O.P. in the 'C' Coy A/O.
    Fair play to the Lebanese, they are great people to pick themselves up after everything that's happened to them down through the years.

6.9 Bravo, I've bitter sweet memories of it ~ like most I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

51st (1982) & 59th (1986) Battalions.... Have often thought of having a trip down memory lane.

What is the security situation in the country these days? It's not often in the news these days but it still might be a dodgy spot, especially without my old FN to rely on :)

Went out there a few years ago and went down to visit the old familiar places. Got stopped north of Tyre by the Leb Army and a grizzled old Sgt told us in no uncertain terms that we were on our own from there on. "No Law West of the Pecos" or some such.
    Had no problems though and had an enjoyable time ,and not a pea-shooter between us!
    Then again it's the Leb where things change quickly, and not always for the best.
    Strangely, it was not all like I remembered it.
    TOTAL garage, in our time a hive of Irish activity, lying idle and empty, a sad lonely place now. Shops across the road empty and derelict The whole area south of Tibnin deserted, a virtual ghost town. The Memorial to the deceased Irish Peacekeepers was spotless and extremely well kept, as the villagers have a committee formed to oversee it, and do a great job. We were mobbed by local well-wishers when we arrived to lay a Wreath there. The Mosque in the square in Brachis Village had been re-built after a Tank round from the hill had flattened it...for the umpteenth time. Amazingly,The road between Al Journ, Shaqra and Brachit was newly tarred, and even more amazingly, had lines on it!
    All in all it was a surreal experience to go back as a Civvie and look at where we spent time as Peacekeepers.
    One thing is for sure, the locals have not forgotten us for standing by them in the bad old days. If the Lebanon ever opens up for Tourism (like Cyprus did) Irish people in particular will be well treated. I hope they remember those of us who gave so much to make it possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Deeno37

I'm only a young sweat with 78,81 and 89th Bn's but its something another exer and I have spoken about. If there was a group thing going in the next year or two we'd be up for it......

Advertisement