Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco WRP400 Router - Issue with fixed ethernet ip addresses

Options
  • 21-01-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Cisco WRP400 router running DHCP will not assign IP address to fixed ethernet connections.

All wifi connections working fine. However, when ethernet cable is connected it disconnects the wifi also.

checked DHCP table and it does not see the devices (smart tv, laptops). hence assigning static ip address to the mac addresses doesnt work.

Ran the following which I saw on a few websites:-

ipconfig /dnsflush
    ipconfig /release all
    and others but no change.

Any idea whats gone wrong here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Just to clarify, its the wired LAN connections that does not get an ip address.

When wired LAN is connected on laptop, wifi drops off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Have you tried a full factory reset?

was hoping to avoid that with all the VoIP and DHCP settings to be redone...

jaytobe wrote: »
    was hoping to avoid that with all the VoIP and DHCP settings to be redone...

Doubt you'll fix it otherwise and even if it does fix it, do you trust it not to go tits up again. Make sure you're on the latest firmware

updated with latest firmware...no change.

do factory reset first and then update firmware?

• Advertisement

updated with latest firmware...no change.

do factory reset first and then update firmware?

It's your only hope, bin it if that fails.

no change...what is best VoIP router to get?

no change with factory...what is best VoIP router to get?

no change with factory...what is best VoIP router to get?

That Cisco is usually decent, I've not had experience of many others. Is it under warranty? You could open a ticket with them and try get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Last try...

Check what IP address range you're getting on the WiFi.
    Setup a PC with static IP address in same range but give a different host number,ie if router has 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ,then give to your PC 192.168.1.123 255.255.255.0
    Give default gateway the router's IP address and DNS,you can put 208.67.222.222 (gateway and DNS is irrelevant for my test).

Connect ONLY PC and router to Ethernet cable (try two different cables OR use same but plug cable in loop to see if LAN ports are going ON,then reset power on router)

Go to a command line (Start -=> Run type cmd) and type:

ping 127.0.0.1
    results ok, 4 out of 4

ping 192.168.1.123 (your PC)
    results ok,4 out of 4

ping 192.168.1.1 (router IP address)
    *now* ...what reply or failure you get !??

If you get reply,then is a software issue with OS,firmware and so on.
    If you get no reply,then is a problem at hardware level,claim a replacement

Or request support from supplier or a new device.

Have fun...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed reply....
    at the moment my old Dell Inspiron has got a malware issue and won't connect at all to net.

Our two work laptops are locked out from accessing the adapter settings.

I've emailed Misco and asked about warranty, just over 2yrs old. Tbh, it was dropping off the net for a while and needed resetting so something was up...it wasnt the ISP.

Are specific routers better for 1Gb network speeds?

I have an ethernet switch which is 10/100 so this inhibit 1Gb transmission speed also?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Are specific routers better for 1Gb network speeds?

I have an ethernet switch which is 10/100 so this inhibit 1Gb transmission speed also?

A router has a "part" doing routing (WAN) and other "part" doing switching (LAN) with a possible other "part" doing Wireless at various speeds.

Depending on your broadband, you may need a normal 100M router that works fine for most xDLS (phone lines) broadband.
    There is an Irish IPS that has speeds higher than 100M therefore, to take advantage of it, you'll need the routing part to be higher than 100M and you need the 1G (1000M) routing network card interface. Most of the 1G WAN interface have 1G interface on LAN side too...
    Also, most of the 1G routers does the same thing, simple functions that means routing traffic from and to inside to external networks, based on a smart built-in operating system. You can have additional functionality at the operating system that differentiate the routers.

Your 10/100 switch have reached the end of its life, therefore I advise you to upgrade (by replacing) with a faster switch,100/1000 one.
    Don't forget that you may need to upgrade the PCs / laptops network cards to take advantage of the faster speeds, as most common hardware interface card is 100m (in laptops are built-in, therefore hard to upgrade, you need anew external adaptor).
    Please note that wireless have different standards and various speeds, no where near the 1G standard.

Regards

Thanks for that.

Only 3Mbs from ISP so that won't be a problem.

Looking at speed of uploads to my NAS, it only has Ethernet cable to upload.

New laptop on the way with Gigabit card. Switch next and router as well.

Advertisement