Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android pattern lock

Options
  • 21-01-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭

Hi.

How many combinations of patterns are there in an Android pattern lock (mine has 9 dots)? Can someone make a limited amount of tries before being locked out for x amount of minutes? I prefer it over using 2 PIN locks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Think its 3 attempts then locked out for 5 mins. As for combinations, it could be how long is a piece of string.
    389112 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

How many combinations of patterns are there in an Android pattern lock (mine has 9 dots)? Can someone make a limited amount of tries before being locked out for x amount of minutes? I prefer it over using 2 PIN locks.
    Assuming you use the whole keypad, I think that's 389112 possible combinations.

Pattern locks aren't for high security though. If someone was trying to break into your phone maliciously they would probably see the pattern shape as a smudge on the screen. It's more to keep friends/family out, just keep your phone with you and that's the best security you can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

T-Bird wrote: »
    Think its 3 attempts then locked out for 5 mins. As for combinations, it could be how long is a piece of string.
    389112 here.

I deliberately made 5 wrong attempts and it locked me out for 30 seconds. I was then able to login with my correct pattern after the time elapsed.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

I think of pattern lock as an upgraded Swipe To Unlock. Ie, no security whatsoever. But will stop you ringing somebody from your pocket.

I use an alphanumeric pass with a few brackets and symbols thrown in for good measure. The phone is also encrypted on power up.

I use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nezdroid.lockscreenprotector

to hide the power menu when phone is locked. This stops thieves powering down the phone, so i can still use the find my phone options if the worst happens.. Obviously this will only work for sealed phones where the battery is not removable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Screen locks like cases, remove the access to the phone features I use most so my pass code is my pocket and common sense.

One immediate downside of a lock is no access to your phone for ICE or even in the event of a misplacement and a helpful individual finding it. If the finder is not nice, the lock is not going to deter them anyway.

• Advertisement

Fixing a problem that doesn't exist for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Gokei wrote: »
    I use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nezdroid.lockscreenprotector

to hide the power menu when phone is locked. This stops thieves powering down the phone, so i can still use the find my phone options if the worst happens.. Obviously this will only work for sealed phones where the battery is not removable.

Nice idea. Just installed it and then I realized thieves can they just remove the sim card to stop the phone connecting and reporting it's location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Idleater wrote: »
    One immediate downside of a lock is no access to your phone for ICE or even in the event of a misplacement and a helpful individual finding it. If the finder is not nice, the lock is not going to deter them anyway.

I've been able to have my contact details/ICE displayed on the lockscreen above the lockscreen num pad for the last few versions of android.

Ice was only one feature I said. I can add Google now search, direct access to apps like Internet, sound hound, etc where launch time can be important, or say showing photos or videos that overrun the screen timeout.

I fail to see the need for a lock when the device is in my possession and under my control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement