Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TheDominanceProject

Options
  • 21-01-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi, Cool name eh? I think so anyway ! I have this idea, but i need the opinion of the open source community.

My idea:
    1). An open source Social Networking Website. (im open for other ideas too)
    2). Anyone who wants to participate would register on a certain site and give a brief description of what there contribution would be.

How it would work:
    1). The developer would register on a site which i make, explain what they want to do and i will either say yes that sounds good, or that;s not really what were looking for.
    2). If accepted, the file would be uploaded to an uploads area on the site, It would then be processed and released if accepted.
    3). All contributors will be listed in the contributors area and their projects listed.

The rules:
    1). No redistributing anyone else's code without permission from the author and the site owners/op's.
    2). No malicious or dangerous code.
    3). Everything must be enjoyable to use and suitable for people of all ages.
    4). Credit must be given where due.

Feel free to add to any of this. Tell me what ye think, as ye know more than me.

Why is the name important ?
    Its the idea of domination. One whole open source community working on one site. Sounds pretty awesome to me. If this was successful, we could take on some pretty huge sites. Feel free to share the thread around too, Lets all pull together and get involved.

Sw33t_r3v3ng3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Interesting idea.

"No redistributing anyone else's code without permission from the author and the site owners/op's."

Not quite the spirit of Open Source though is it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Would the site itself be open source?

Do you know of the sourceforge, launchpad, github etc?
    The essence of open source is of course the source code itself... so these tend to have this as their core.

On linux most people get their software from repositories rather than a website. Perhaps, you could create an equivalent for windows users? Is this a school project?
    If it is meant for the real world... I've not worked on any of the social network sites but I would imagine that all the work is in making it manage large volumes of transactions and I think a big part of this is the massive server farms they utilize.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Grudaire wrote: »
    Interesting idea.

"No redistributing anyone else's code without permission from the author and the site owners/op's."

Not quite the spirit of Open Source though is it?

As i said im open to suggestions. I know pretty much nothing about the open source community, thats what i need ye for :P

croo wrote: »
    Would the site itself be open source?

Do you know of the sourceforge, launchpad, github etc?
    The essence of open source is of course the source code itself... so these tend to have this as their core.

On linux most people get their software from repositories rather than a website. Perhaps, you could create an equivalent for windows users? Is this a school project?
    If it is meant for the real world... I've not worked on any of the social network sites but I would imagine that all the work is in making it manage large volumes of transactions and I think a big part of this is the massive server farms they utilize.

Its just an idea i came up with last night!! And i wanted peoples opinions on it who have experience in the open source field.

As for what it could turn out to be nobody knows ! What i mean by an open source social networking site is to have any number of people working on different parts of the site.

Lets say developer 1 wants to try a new feature he created , He would write the code (be it php, or whatever) and then it would be tested and released.

I think I miunerstood.
    I thought you wanted to create a social network site aimed at the open source.
    But you want to create an open source project that is a social network site, Am I correct now?

you should look at the likes of sourcforge, someone might have started something along those lines .. you could use that as a starting point or join in that effort.

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    I think I miunerstood.
    I thought you wanted to create a social network site aimed at the open source.
    But you want to create an open source project that is a social network site, Am I correct now?

you should look at the likes of sourcforge, someone might have started something along those lines .. you could use that as a starting point or join in that effort.

Yes thats correct!! will definitely check it out !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

As i said im open to suggestions. I know pretty much nothing about the open source community, thats what i need ye for :P

Usually open source would mean that you give everyone the freedom to both see and use the code that you create.
    Perhaps restricting them only by making it mandatory that any deveopments are also open source. (For info: http://opensource.org/osd )

There have been a few attempts at creating open source social networks (eg Diaspora) If you decide to follo this further it would be a good idea to look at some of these projects and see if they can be a base for your code, and what lessons can be learned from them.

Grudaire wrote: »
    Usually open source would mean that you give everyone the freedom to both see and use the code that you create.
    Perhaps restricting them only by making it mandatory that any deveopments are also open source. (For info: http://opensource.org/osd )

There have been a few attempts at creating open source social networks (eg Diaspora) If you decide to follo this further it would be a good idea to look at some of these projects and see if they can be a base for your code, and what lessons can be learned from them.

Now that i think of it, Why not scrap the open source idea and just make it that anyone who wants to contribute can ?

Why not scrap the open source idea
    Well, for starters you'd have to talk about it somewhere else.
    anyone who wants to contribute can ?
    and why would they do you think?

Advertisement