Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid I am going to fail OL maths.

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the title says im terrified I am going to fail ordinary level maths. I have tried really hard to improve but I just cant. I am doing grinds in maths but can't afford to keep them going. What should I do to improve on maths?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Keep working. My sister also struggled and got really upset when she couldn't pass OL Maths years back, she has a Masters in International Business, and now she's laughing. She got a D3 in her LC.

The only thing you can do is try to understand the fundamental basics of Maths by looking at examples from your Maths book and doing exam papers over, and over, and over, and over again - lots of questions are repeated, just requires some memorisation - the exam is very lenient after shifting over to Project Maths. You'll get attempt marks for the simplest workings to questions, leaving you with a pass grade.

Nothing is impossible. The issue is not understanding fundamentals. Hypothetically if a person cannot answer 4 x 5, they are not going to understand further aspects that are essential to advance in further sections.

If you simply cannot advance further, then consider courses that do not require Maths as an entrance requirement. There are quite a few from my understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I would be delighted with a D3 in Maths. It seems impossible.
    I can do the first few parts of each question but then I am completely lost!

I've been doing past exam papers but I can't answer enough to pass. I can't fail maths. It's the most important subject to pass yet its my most likely fail.

The mock in maths is going to be a disaster but i cant afford to fail the real thing. I will do what you said and try and get the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Attempt each question. There are marks for every step you do correct. Even if you don't get the right answer, you can still get 90% of the marks. Talk to your teacher and ask them to explain the parts you find especially hard. Believe it or not, it's quite difficult to fail Ordinary maths. But don't forget, even if you think you aren't able for a question, attempt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What college course are you looking to do? I think for certain degrees in certain colleges foundation level maths is accepted. (I stand to be corrected on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

If you are serious about putting in time yu can do it.

Go over exams from the past 5 years.

For every question note what is asked every yr. You will see that the numbers change but what you are required to find is the same.

Then find similar questions in your text book or mock papers and practice practice practice.

You can learn the steps off so that even when you are confused you can do what you know is usually required and you will likely be right.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

As some previous posters have mentioned, the only way that you will fail is if you don't attempt each question. No matter how silly of an answer you think it is, it may still get you some marks.

Try as many exam papers as you can. There is a book called 'Project Maths Solutions' which goes through lots of past exam questions. Educate.ie have another website where you can buy the solutions to questions done step by step.

Keep calm and keep going!

Hey, Thanks for the replies :)

I am definitely serious about improving in maths. I need to.

Thing is whenever I attempt a question in the exam papers I cant find a corresponding example in the maths book to find out how to do it.

In the exam papers is it the SEC sample papers I should be doing?

Its so annoying when you can't find an example of the question being asked.

Does anybody know is there any recurring questions that continuously come up that I can practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ProjectManager

I think you have the ingredients to pass. First, you clearly WANT to pass and are prepared to put in the work - that is really important. You also say that you can answer the first part of most questions but then get stuck in the later parts.

Clearly there are some concepts or parts of concepts that you don't understand in each of the topics. You should get someone to work through these with you on a one to one basis and you will be fine.

i have previously mentored people in similar situations to yourself (btw no charge) and I don't have spare time at the moment. But if you need any advice let me know. I don't think you are too far away from D3.

Best of luck and Don't give up.

Hi,

I have done out a timetable for maths for the rest of the year and so far I am sticking to it.

No matter what I plan on doing an hour and a half of maths questions from the maths book every day. I need to pass maths.

• Advertisement
Advertisement