Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliab Cuinciu - Disco/Synth Pop/Hip Hop tracks

Options
  • 21-01-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,long time lurker, first time poster, was hoping to get some feedback on some new tracks I've put out recently. I'm never sure whether my stuff fits in more here or in the Hip Hop section, would love to hear what people have to say in terms of what genre I'm producing as it seems to be a mystery to most reviewers and I find it tough to put a label on it myself.

As I said I'd really appreciate some feedback if anyone could give me some pointers on where my mixes are lacking etc?

Thanks,
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

I don't want to make any very detailed comments as I don't know the setup.

I'm skipping the first song, personal taste, sorry.

Second song.
    I am not a fan of the snare sound, it is a bit too meaty sounding where I think the clapping would do that job anyway when that comes in. It sounds like a cheap snare too. Try and find a wood snare sample, maple or birch, with a bit of snap. But maybe that is just a genre specific sound you went for.

Quite like it besides that. Maybe the clapping section before 3 mins is a bit close sounding - too loud and could use just a tad reverb, a tad!

Daycent.

For the last song, that kick drum is too up in the low mids for me. Sounds more like an overly dampened floor tom. Those stringy paddy things in the back ground do get a bit grating after a while for me.

In terms of musical ideas, I am not your person for that.

With the exception of the first song, I'd be happy enough 2 and 4 with that but perhaps a more genre appropriate judge is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cuinciu

Hey thanks alot for going through the tracks and replying.

Ha I don't blame you for skipping the first track, the words Gucci Mane are enough to scare off most sane people.

I can definitely see what you mean about the snare in the 2nd track, I seem to be drawn to ****ty drum sounds that I end up spending way too much time trying to make sound decent instead of just finding a better sample in the first place. I was happy enough with the weight in it as I thought that was something that was lacking from my other tracks up to that point, but perhaps I went a little overboard.

I'm trying to fall somewhere between early 80's disco/funk production and a more modern hip hop based sound + stupid amounts of synth lines, sometimes it can be tough to reconcile the three.

As for the remarks about the last track I'd be inclined to agree with you, I never really noticed the kick until I heard it on someone else's set up recently. I'm not sure if it's my monitoring situation, my ears or just willful ignorance that let it down (it was a rush job for a college assignment that I didn't have the heart to go back to.)

Anyway back to drawing (mixing?) board!

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

Cuinciu wrote: »
    I was happy enough with the weight in it as I thought that was something that was lacking from my other tracks up to that point, but perhaps I went a little overboard.

I think adding weight is a good idea, but I think the clapping which comes in after a while adds weight to an already heavy snare. So getting a snappier snare sound will sound good at the start, then some variation will come in with the claps.

Could just be down to a snare sample change.

On monitoring, aye, my situation is not the best in the temp accommodation I have right now. I am in the UK doing a recording project so I have my mini Genelecs with me which are fantastic. It really pays to play your mixes in as many places as you can before committing to a mix.

In the past my most sure fire way of knowing a mix sounded decent was if it sounded good in the car. Such a messed up acoustic environment in there with so it will throw up some issues for you. Cars vary wildly so I recommend a VW Golf estate haha

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cuinciu

Yeah I'd usually try reference wherever I can, stereo,tv, laptop, computer speakers, earphones, headphones etc. I'm using an ancient pair of M-Audio's with 5 inch cones and a pair of hd-25's for the majority of the mixing. The monitors are fairly iffy but I'm getting used to them, I honestly feel like getting some room treatment would be more important than upgrading them at the moment.

I'm afraid I don't drive and none of my mates seem to either (go recession/bad money management) so the car check has been out of reach up till now

I'll try what you said for the track and see if it works, the song is a lot louder than I'd normally mix things. I think I was using something from the new Blood Orange album as a reference which is incredibly loud, might have led me to over shooting things a bit with the snare/clap level

Advertisement