Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having an operation.. Off work for 6 weeks

Options
  • 21-01-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm about to have my acl reconstructed, the surgeon said I'll be off work for 6-12 weeks, does my employer cover this or am I entitled to benefits?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Get the form for illness benefit from your gp,submit same to the dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

mp22 wrote: »
    Get the form for illness benefit from your gp,submit same to the dept.

But my gp isn't doing the op, no point in giving him 50e for a form?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

form is free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

The form is free but some GPs won't sign it unless you have a consultation with them. Only way to find out is ring your surgery and ask for the form.But will only have to be once. Any IB is now paid after 6 days certifed sick leave and you will be taxed on the payment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm about to have my acl reconstructed, the surgeon said I'll be off work for 6-12 weeks, does my employer cover this or am I entitled to benefits?

Check the contract that you have with your employer and talk to somebody in HR or whoever has responsibility for HR in your company. Some pay you for sick leave, some don't. In my limited experience even if you are paid for sick leave you will be expected to claim whatever benefits you are entitled to and your employer makes up the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SharpSpoke

Hi Mallachyrivers,
    If your employer pays your wages while you are off work you will still have to get the illness benefit form from your GP and hand it in to them so they can claim it back. If your employer doesn't pay your wage while you are out, you will have to collect the form signed by your GP at his/her reception once a week or once a month. You will have to see your GP first to explain what you are doing and he will fill your first form out for you, then you will start to receive a reminder in the post from illness benefit to hand these forms in. These illness benefit forms are only from your GP and not surgeon.

If it's a serious operation and you are going to be stuck in doors for a good period due to recovery, when you get the form ring the illness benefit contact number, explain what is happening and you won't be able to hand one in every week. They will change it to a monthly cert instead of a weekly cert to accommodate you while you can not move out of your house.

Advertisement