Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not going Debs

Options
  • 21-01-2014 5:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

I don't really want to go to my debs as I have no one to go with.
    I paid my deposit of €20 and they want the other €60 next month.
    I don't know how to tell people
    Am I a loser if I don't go ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

You're not a "loser" if ya don't go.

But you should! It's a fun night, you've already paid some of it. And besides nobody really has debs dates yet! Loads of people don't bring dates and even if you do, chances are you'll hardly see them during the night. I would recommend going but it's your own decision in the end! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

I didn't go to my debs and I don't regret it at all.
    Most of the people in my year were complete ass clowns.
    I also have not gone to my school reunions either, why would I want to hang out with a bunch of rugby playing goons who will just harp on about the size of their BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I do not know anybody who regrets going to their Debs but I know plenty who did not go and feel they missed out on a right of passage.

I would go even if solo as it is usually a good laugh and the summer break and folks getting on with there real life usally means the gob****ery of Secondary school is left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I never went to my debs and didn't feel like I missed out on anything. There will be plenty of nights out in your life and plenty of college balls to go to if you want that sort of thing. If you don't want to go, don't go. Just tell whoever is collecting money for the debs that you have decided not to go and take the hit for the €20. You don't have to give any further explanation than that. You're also not a lose if you don't go. It's only a night out at the end of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hey,

I'm not going to go to mine and neither are a few of my friends. It's just a glorified and incredibly expensive night out that will be over before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

You're not a loser if you don't go. I didn't go to mine, mainly because I had no friends and it would have been a super awkward night. I was a loser long before I didn't go to my debs xD
    But seriously, if you have a group of good mates or good memories from school then it might be worth it, I get upset sometimes that I never went to my debs or our graduation ceremony and night out but then I remember nobody missed me there so why should I have bothered? But everyone else saw it as a great last hurrah with everyone so it's up to you. Lotsss of people didn't bring dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

11 years for me since my LC. Didn't bother with debs and to be honest not once in the 11 years have I regretted it or looked back on a missed opportunity.

• Site Banned Posts: 63 ✭✭Carrie Madshaw

Yeah, God, I couldn't wait to get away from that school and never see most of those idiots again that I went to school with. A couple of guys I still am friends with went, and I don't think they ever mentioned it to me.
    I'm not a fan of formalities so I was never going to go anyway. But don't fret, go on a holiday instead or something, there'll be plenty more parties to go to as your life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I went to mine and to be honest, I wish I hadn’t. The pressure to bring a date meant I asked someone I hardly new, and the night was very loooooooong. I didn’t really spend any time with my friends, as they were busy with their dates, for some reason I managed to be seated away from them during the meal as well.

The food was sh1te (yes, I know people don’t go for the food) and all-in-all it was just an expensive night out. There was talk of parties afterwards but they never materialised. To be honest, I wish I hadn’t bothered.

Also the girl I brought was stuck for a date the following year, so I went with her to her debs, and once again, expense and boredom ruled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I went alone to mine and still enjoyed it. It all depends on whether or not you're friends with most of your classmates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Why do you need someone to go with? I went by myself in a cocktail dress. Was grand!! Everyone else had lost there dates by the end of the night! Trust me, you don't need a date. My little sisters are in leaving cert and they both only bought one ticket. They said if no one asks them they'll just go by themselves (mixed school).

Go, don't go, either way you won't miss much. I am glad I went to mine and it was fine. I suppose it would be harder for shy people, it didn't bother me at all. I was asked by a friend of my cousins who I didn't even know to go to his debs because 'he didn't want to go by myself'. I said no, you don't need a date and you shouldn't feel pressurized into going with someone.

If you feel like you really don't want to go, don't go. You're not a loser, trust me! All them 'cool' people in school will be the real losers in a few years time!! Take it from a girl who was in the nerd herd in school!! School and its crappy politics is such a load of crap! Be your own person, you'll be looking back laughing in a few years, trust me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

It really comes down to wether you like your classmates, who you have to go with (friends/date), if you like formalities and if you mind forking out a decent bit of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Not having a date definitely isn't an issue: many won't have one, and loads misplace their date anyway.

I would probably recommend going. The debs isn't a classic night for anyone; no one looks back with nostalgia!! But, in, say, thirty years time, you may reflect with the rosiest of tinted glasses and think, "I wish I'd gone".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

What would you guys think of going to the Debs but just not wanting to drink?

Is it a contradiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

cathalio11 wrote: »

Is it a contradiction?

Contradiction of what? I didn't drink at my debs....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

cathalio11 wrote: »

Is it a contradiction?

No, not everything has to be about drink. I like a few drinks now and then, but if that's not what you're into, you can have a good night without it.

Parties afterwards might be a different state of affairs, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Its not a must to go to your debs, a few people out of my year didn't go and don't regret it! If it is the fact you aren't bringing someone don't let that stop you from going! There was only two of us out of my group of friends that brought someone and had a great time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I didn't go to mine, all the BS that goes with it just seemed like hard work. Can't say I regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I do not know anybody who regrets going to their Debs but I know plenty who did not go and feel they missed out on a right of passage.
    I wish I hadn't bothered going to mine. It was okay, but it was expensive and the girl and I weren't speaking by the time the debs came around.

Advertisement