Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing the Clutch on a MK1 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI

Options
  • 21-01-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice. I have a 2004 focus 1.8 90bhp with 110K miles. The clutch is starting to get quite thin and although I have no issue driving it my partners is finding it challenging especially with hill starts etc. I am just wondering if it would be OK just to replace the 2 part clutch kit rather than the slave cylinder and flywheel as the car is not making any noise or causing other issues. Any advise greatly appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

It's recommended to do the slave cylinder and DMF at the same time as the clutch to save on labour if they go down the line. There's a risk that if either fails, the clutch itself could be damaged also.

In answer to your question though, no, there's nothing wrong with doing just the clutch and pressure plate, especially if the budget doesn't stretch to a flywheel and CSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

If the flywheel is not causing any problems leave it as is, it can be checked when the box is of if you want. I personally wouldn't fit a clutch kit without the bearing been replaced for any customers because it will only lead to issues down the road if it leaks or the bearing fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The 90bhp TDDI uses a solid flywheel luckily for you!

You should definitely change the concentric along with the 2 part kit.

The 90bhp TDDI uses a solid flywheel luckily for you!

The OP has the TDCI though. I've only seen the TDCI 90 in Transit Connects previously, but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP has the TDCI though. I've only seen the TDCI 90 in Transit Connects previously, but who knows!

TDCi in the Mk1 Focus was 115bhp only. TDDi was 90bhp.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    TDCi in the Mk1 Focus was 115bhp only. TDDi was 90bhp.

As I said, I haven't seen one in a Focus before, just the Connects. But the OP clearly says it's a TDCI and a 90 :confused: There's also a TDCI 100 fitted to the mk1 Focus according to Autodata.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Charles1412

Thanks guys for all the input. I just checked the spec's on the car and yes it is a tdci however its a 90bhp as per the plate in the engine bay. Car was originally brought in from the UK so that might be the reason for the different engine spec. Sorry to be ignorant but George recommends replacing the concentric just wondering what this is

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

its the release bearing which also the slave cylinder really should be replaced as outlined in previous posts

Advertisement