Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant & Zero Hour Contract

Options
  • 21-01-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I have recently found out I'm pregnant a little unexpected to say the least but we are thrilled, we co-habit but are not married, although it's very early stages I have no idea what my rights are as far as work goes, my contract is very basic and doesn't really go into what my rights are when it comes to maternity. I am on a temporary zero hour contract, I know I'm not entitled to paid maternity leave but I'm wondering what I am entitled to state wise? I've worked the last 14 years of my life without a break and have never collected the dole, really not clued up on what benefits I am entitled while on maternity leave. I am also concerned about when my current employer finds out I'm pregnant will they reduce my hours I am typically getting between 36-48 hours a week and because of my contract they are well within their rights even though since I've started I've more or less worked full time hours. Truthfully I'm terrified of the money situation about being able to pay my rent and feed and look after my baby.

If anyone is clued up on employment rights and knows about zero hour contracts I'd love to hear what you think. I've scoured the internet for info and there's a lot for UK law and not Ireland.

If anyone could give me advice I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you

Comments

Advertisement