Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three to start 4G service.

Options
  • 21-01-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Three have announced a January 27th start for their 4g service.
    4G is available to our broadband customers for FREE with a 4G MiFi.
    4G is available to all our customers, for free, from January 27th until July 31st. From August 1st 4G will be available for purchase through an add on for €4.99 for Bill Pay and Broadband customers. Pricing for Prepay customers will be confirmed shortly.

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

How is it "free" if you have to be a customer?

"Included in the service you are paying for" doesn't equal free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

watty wrote: »
    How is it "free" if you have to be a customer?

"Included in the service you are paying for" doesn't equal free.

Did you sign up to 4g when you started your contract with three?

I just checked the map, their 4 g coverage is shockingly poor, I'd actually be embarrassed to show a map of it!

There goes my hopes of fast internet.

Maybe it's just the start .?

But 4G on 800MHz IS NOT "Fast Internet" once there are real customers! It only is much better than 3G when the sector is heavily loaded (1Mbps vs 0.5Mbps). Otherwise it's only a little better than lighltly loaded 3G as the Operators do not have multiple 20MHz channels (x4 the 3G speeed).

So you are missing nothing. It's just some more Mobile Internet capacity. The only way it can be MUCH better than 3G next year when there are more users is to charge x2 to x4 as much then to limit the number users and keep speed up. It's a small fixed resource.

TBH I don't know what they bother, the 3G service would he pave been just fine did they spent the money adding more capacity.

I'm just sick to death of 6mb down and 300 Kbps up since 2006 !!!

• Advertisement

That's as good as 2/3rds of Irish Broadband users!

Advertisement