Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance

Options
  • 21-01-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi I have an uncle who is looking for the disability allowance, he hasnt worked since the early 90's but his partner has been working all this time. He recently applied for disability allowance as he has no stamps paid and he put his partner's income down on the form. Her income is different every week as she is only a casual worker. He also applied for a medical card and has just got word today that he is only eligible for a GP only card so I imagine he wont be eligible for the disability allowance, we are waiting on the inspector to come out to him. Does anyone know much about the disability allowance and if he doesnt get it will he be entitled to anything at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

The medical card has nothing to do with eligibility for DA.

DA is decided on the applicant's health, GP's reports and if their condition is likely to last at least a year. Its very hard to get and expect to have to appeal a few times, and allow 12-18months before getting a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

Thanks for the reply danjo, thats good to know that it has nothing to do with the medical card, I just would have thought if his partner's income was above the threshold for the medical card then it would probably be over the threshold for the disability allowance also. All his GP reports states that his condition is indefinitly and he has a couple of health problems going on so hopefully he will get it. He has an appointment with an inspector tomorrow so hopefully its moving for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Disability Allowance is a means tested payment. His partners means will be assessed.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/da.aspx#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Anybody know how long it takes for a first decision on DA? Not including appeals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

compo1 wrote: »
    Anybody know how long it takes for a first decision on DA? Not including appeals, etc.

Anything from 8-12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Gatling wrote: »
    Anything from 8-12 months

My god that is shocking, and what payment does an applicant receive in the interim period does anybody know? Surely they can't expect anyone to live without an income...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lovbnmoma

I think it has speeded up alot because they brought alot of new workers in last year because there was such a backlog. I was talking to the office there a couple of weeks ago and they said they were dealing with October/November applicants so they have definitely caught up. My uncle had the meeting with the inspector and they have to send in more info to him and hopefully it will be sorted then. Not sure how long the process is after the inspector has all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Lovbnmoma wrote: »
    I think it has speeded up alot because they brought alot of new workers in last year because there was such a backlog. I was talking to the office there a couple of weeks ago and they said they were dealing with October/November applicants so they have definitely caught up. My uncle had the meeting with the inspector and they have to send in more info to him and hopefully it will be sorted then. Not sure how long the process is after the inspector has all the info.
    So are we down to 2-3 months? I had to leave my last job due to serious illness and my condition is serious and lifelong. Virtually no chance of getting work, though right now I'm on Illness and Suplementary Benefits and have applied for work that my doctor approves, but as soon as they're aware of my condition, it's "Don't call us."
    My doctor thinks I'll get it alright, but his secretary said there's no telling what the Dept would do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement