Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrallels on Mac, Question about RAM

Options
  • 21-01-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have an 8gb MacBook Pro and I often need Windows for certain programs.

Basically I was wondering if I assign 4gb of the RAM to Parallels is the RAM only divided when parallels is running and does osx retain all 8gb if the memory when the app is closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

RAM usage is dynamic, so essentially you are allocating a limit/cap on what you want you want to guest OS to have access to. It will only use what it needs at a certain time, up to the limit you set. Your not taking away from the host machines ram at all. So in short, give it 4gb, no hassles. You'll still have 8gb on the host machine when you shut down parallels !! That cant change, as its physical ram, as opposed to the virtual ram you have allocated for windows !

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

Cheers, Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't entirely sure.

Advertisement