Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent book

Options
  • 21-01-2014 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

My landlord is collecting rent monthly (cash), he doesn't want me to lodge it to bank account and is not giving me receipt so I have no record of payment. Am I entitled by law to have rent book? is there an actual rent book I can buy or is it just a notebook we both sign each month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

sinny65 wrote: »
    My landlord is collecting rent monthly (cash), he doesn't want me to lodge it to bank account and is not giving me receipt so I have no record of payment. Am I entitled by law to have rent book? is there an actual rent book I can buy or is it just a notebook we both sign each month?

no not a specific legal book or anything, a simple little ledger from the newsagents would do, or if you're in college the student services office will have them for free. Its just a record of payments which is noted, dated and signed by your landlord, as good as a receipt really.

Example of a college issued rent book
    https://international.nuim.ie/sites/international.nuim.ie/files/USI%20rentbook2012.pdf page 21 is the type of thing you're after, you could even just print a couple of copies of that page..or make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

sinny65 wrote: »

He's probably dodging the taxman but that's his problem not yours.
    Tell him "no receipt, no money" and wave it in front of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Check to see whether the tenancy is registered with the PRTB (for starters). If you feel strongly that he is evading tax- report him to Revenue. This country is on its knees- we do not need tax evaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

It is a legal requirement under 2004 RTA for a landlord to provide either a rent book (or sign a payment record you provide) or a written lease that states the rent and payment interval.

Your tenancy is simply defined as the exchange of rent for accommodation and in the absence of a record that you pay rent you effectively have no evidence of a tenancy existing.

As others above state he is probably flying under the wire and evading tax. He could also be siphoning money away from a lender and as we as a company are seeing more and more this could lead to you suddenly losing the roof over your head when a receiver comes calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Check to see whether the tenancy is registered with the PRTB (for starters). If you feel strongly that he is evading tax- report him to Revenue. This country is on its knees- we do not need tax evaders.

Personally, I wouldn't do this until you move out. Shop him now and you'll never get your deposit back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement