Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volunteering for defibrillator training AED

Options
  • 20-01-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Our community are looking for the volunteers who train for defribrillator training to pay 20 euro each for a recertification course every two years to cover the tutor and cert. I think the money should be raised throughout the community somehow and not via the volunteers who already give their time. What is other peoples experience in their community?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

scb66 wrote: »
    Our community are looking for the volunteers who train for defribrillator training to pay 20 euro each for a recertification course every two years to cover the tutor and cert. I think the money should be raised throughout the community somehow and not via the volunteers who already give their time. What is other peoples experience in their community?

Its a very simple equation really.

What requires more effort/time on your behalf going out and raising the €20 per member through the community or paying the €20 yourself out of your own pocket (bearing in mind these courses usually cost €60 odd so your getting some benefit from your time invested).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 scb66

That's a good point. Although if myself and my partner do it that will be 40 euro from our household towards a 200 euro lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

The cost of an IHF or PHECC course completion card is at least €5, often up to €15 which your instructor has to pay if issuing same - so your literally paying for your cert plus a few euro.

Its hardly fair to expect other people to volunteer further time to raise €20 to cover a small cost like that, when they are probably already having to fundraise from equipment and replacement parts etc. People contributing to the cost of training helps ensure that donor money can be used on keeping your defib in the area maintained and by everybody paying a little it means more people can get trained.

At a cost of €10 / person per two year period its a bargain. People pay €50 per person upwards to do that training. Even members of some of the voluntary organisations have to pay or contribute towards their initial courses.

As Im sure your instructor said/will say, most of the time when people use these skills it is on a friend or family member - so your learning how to save a friend or relative, at a bargain price.

Advertisement