Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Degree

Options
  • 20-01-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So im thinking of putting down arts in UCD as my second choice on my CAO but im a bit worried incase the arts wont be as recognised abroad? I dont want to be a teacher or anything and i've heard that people mostly do it if they do want to be a teacher :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why do you think it wouldn't be recognised abroad? You'll end up with a degree in two subject areas out of an arts degree typically. Thousands of students have gone through arts degrees in Ireland and I'm sure plenty have worked abroad with it. Why would you be any different?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There is no reason why your degree won't be recognised abroad.

Most people who do Arts don't become teachers, or want to, though I suspect many people (and their parents) have it in the back of their heads as a back-up option ... maybe ... sometime.

A better question is why do you want to do Arts? What do you want to do after college (if you know ... even if it's just a broad brush-stroke type "I'd like to work in X area")? Or are there particular subjects which you enjoy / would like to study further, even if you're not sure yet where you want to go with them?

It's always good to have *some* reason to pick a course, rather than just sticking it down at random. ;)

For that matter, what's your number 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MeganB

There is no reason why your degree won't be recognised abroad.

Most people who do Arts don't become teachers, or want to, though I suspect many people (and their parents) have it in the back of their heads as a back-up option ... maybe ... sometime.

A better question is why do you want to do Arts? What do you want to do after college (if you know ... even if it's just a broad brush-stroke type "I'd like to work in X area")? Or are there particular subjects which you enjoy / would like to study further, even if you're not sure yet where you want to go with them?

It's always good to have *some* reason to pick a course, rather than just sticking it down at random. ;)

For that matter, what's your number 1?

Business commerce in UCD is my number 1 and I put down an arts in UCD third but I'm going to change that to second becaue I'd rather that over business and management in Maynooth

Thanks by the way for the valid points :D

Advertisement