Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going leave work on FIS will I have problems

Options
  • 20-01-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi can anyone advise me at present I work 19 hours in my local school cleaning from 330 till 7 and have been doing this for 6 years, I am thinking of leaving as with diesel money and paying a sitter I am worse of that my neighbour who hasn't worked a day in her life :mad:..

My partner has epilepsy and is on medication which is controlling it but the medication has changed him in that he is soo short tempered and can be soo forgetful. He has to do homework with the children which is not working out as he is scaring the children by shouting at them etc ..

This was not a problem before this year its just now since my oldest started school I feel I need to be there with him to help with homework, his sister is starting in Sep so this will put more pressure/stress on me.

I think it is time to leave work can anyone advise will I get into trouble our have problems getting jobseekers allowance if I leave my job.

Thanks guys for any advise/info :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is up to 9 weeks of no dole if you leave employment,however this is up to your local office to make a decision on.

Loss of employment

You must have suffered a substantial loss of employment in any period of 7 consecutive days to be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (casual workers and retained firefighters with no other employment are exempt from this rule). This means that you must have lost at least one day's employment and as a result of this loss be unemployed for at least 4 days out of 7 days. Your earnings must also have been reduced because of the loss of employment. You may be disqualified from getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 weeks if you:
    • Left work voluntarily and without a reasonable cause
    From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Your partner should apply for disability allowance immediately and you apply for carers allowance. He can apply for you and the kids to be his dependents. Do this immediately as both of these payments are taking a very long time to be sorted out. In the meantime take a letter from his GP about the epilepsy and the mood swings and the medication to the CWO and copies of the csrers allowance and disability allowance completed application forms and ask him or her for an SWA while you are waiting.
    The important thing here is that the kids are not suffering because of the illness. Do all this right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

My partner tried to get disability allowance but was turned down, this is soo hard has there is no way we could survive without any money for 9 weeks any other advice would be really appreciated as its killing me going to work everyday knowing things r how they are:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

rionn wrote: »
    My partner tried to get disability allowance but was turned down, this is soo hard has there is no way we could survive without any money for 9 weeks any other advice would be really appreciated as its killing me going to work everyday knowing things r how they are:confused:

Did you not appeal the disability? If he has epilepsy and disagreeing with the medication I would say in my experience he should get it on appeal. He should submit his appeal, then submit an illness benefit cert from his GP and proceed then to the CWO.
    If you are concerned about your children's safety you have to tell your GP he or she will help you.

Thanks mrsbryne for taking the time to give me your helpful advice... I have talked to my partner about this, but he bit the head off me!

He is a shy person and does not want to be going talking to our family doctor about his anger problem.. He continued to say he tried for disability allowance for 2 years but was turned down three times, this was over a year ago.. Do you know of anyone who has got turned down so often and then got it?

Thanks you soo much again I will keep trying to encourage him to go talk to the doctor hopefully at some stage he will see sense and go have a talk to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Would it not be possible for you to do the homework with the children in the morning until your partner sorts themselves out?
    Seems a bit drastic to give up your job for what is a temporary situtation. Not sure what your neighbours income has to do with it.

My children have to be at school for 9 with a 15 minute drive to get there, he is usually that tired in the morning it takes everything just to get him out of bed. That 1:30 in the morning is hardly enough time as it is to get 3 children breakfast, washed and dressed.

My neighbour who can enjoy been with her children all day and doesn't have the stress of getting a sitter to come check on children gets the same as me when you add up the fact she gets cheap rent RAS scheme :confused:, would this not pee you off if in the same situation..

My neighbour never bothered me before but since things have got soo bad in my household I find myself wishing I could stay home and look after my children properly, my eldest crys when I go to work and begs me to find work for when he is at school..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What an awful thing to be growing through. I'm really sorry you are experiencing this. I know you asked about State Benefits, but this issue is much bigger. It is not acceptable for your husband to shout at your children while they are doing their homework to the point they get distressed and cry.

I really think you both need to discuss this with a GP.

Advertisement