Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep a business going / marketing Ideas?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi ive started up a small business while I study . Ive been trained in Gel nails , spray tan and individual eyelashes for the last 3 years . Business is slow and Im looking for it to pick up but I dont know what to do . Theres some weeks where Im mad busy then others are just dead. I have a few repeat clients but usually new people. Ive posted ads On gumtree and have a facebook page for the services . has anybody got any ideas?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Loyalty Cards? - Book 5 get 6th free
    "Recommend a Friend"? Bring a friend and get xyz
    Gift Vouchers?
    Birthday Party specials?
    Fiver Friday?
    Competition of facebook?

What are your competitors doing? Have you called to their salon(s) as a customer to see what they do differently, do they give them a glass of fizzy wine while they wait or do they have a great chat with their customers?

in your line of business repeat customers are a big thing? Word of mouth must be huge - 1 girl has a great experience, very high chance her mates will come in too. Are your staff super friendly and chatty?

special offers for students, groups - end of term coming up in a couple of months..are there some new summer trends? What so they do in the UK/USA?

Ask for the email addresses of every customers and send them special offer emails or have a card bucket at the till for business women? Loads of scope to do things, I personally think gumtree cheapens a business and would never buy or use anything off it. For facebook I find the only engagement with users are with competitions.

Best of luck - I'm only giving my thoughts..!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Spice Girl

Are you mobile or operate from a salon? When you do someone's nails do you book them in for a repeat appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Repeat business is everything in your line of work.

Firstly, Get contact details of all your customers, Names, Addresses, Phone numbers and email addresses.

Secondly, When you get a new customer find out how they heard about your business. This will tell you some info like if people say they heard about you on gumtree, adverts, facebook etc... well then you know that paticular form of marketing is working.

Thirdly, Compare your service to your competitors. Some business people find this hard because they cant see flaws in there business so I would suggest get someone you know who speaks there mind and is very honest with you. Get them to compare your competitors and you and see what the pluses and minuses are and improve on the minuses.

Are you working from a shop or are you mobile? Working from a shop make sure the exteriour is spotless and the business is presented well. See if there is other businesses in the area that you can team up with and advertise each other. If your mobile do deals well if Mrs Jones books you and its €40 for her nails say to her we have sppecial on at the moment that if you bring a neighbour or bring 2 neighbours I will do yours for €20 and theres for €40 or do each for €30 something like that to incourage more customers per visit and to build a name quicker for yourself.

After a day or two contact each customer and see how they found the service, Were they happy, how can the service be improved. Are your customers returning to you and if not why not.

A lot of women still dont complain or give out about services they recieve or are not happy with they just dont return so you need to make sure you treat every customer like royalty and keep them returning and spreading the word about your business. If a customer seems very happy but after a period of time they still havent booked in again. Contact them an offer them a special price.

Starting out is always going to be hard because you have to build a name and a reputation for yourself it can be very slow at the begining but over time can pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Naomibeauty

Spice Girl wrote: »
    Are you mobile or operate from a salon? When you do someone's nails do you book them in for a repeat appointment?

Thanks for all your suggestions and Ill definitely try to take them on board and hopefully gain some clients !
    I should have mentioned in my post that I'm not mobile and I work from home.

Any suggestions on how to ask a client if they would like a repeat appointment as I always feel as If I'm being cheeky when doing so ?

thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Link in with similar non-competing businesses.

e.g. a local hair salon if they don't provide the services,
    Local boutiques - try and tie in with them when they are doing fashion shows
    local hotels - see if you can rent a room on days they have events on

as for repeat appointments, use text / email marketing (no more than once a month)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Any suggestions on how to ask a client if they would like a repeat appointment as I always feel as If I'm being cheeky when doing so ?

Keep a note of when they get them done. If the product lasts 6 weeks, then call them 4/5 afterwards to get them done again. Offer some sort of discount or loyalty scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

OP..if you get your marketing right the sales side will be a doddle. A lot of posters have asked what your competition is doing. Id of course make yourself aware..but add something on. When you just copy the competition its called mimetic isomorphism.

Add an element of passion to why you do what you do...and communicate it!

This video is great when it comes to explaining what makes great organisations!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

print some cheap business cards,go door to door,look for weddings,they will get nails done,have you got a shop front,go into business with a hairdresser,put your business card in super markets,use twitter and facebook to search for clients,peoples birthdays offer gift cards,get a webpage,get advert stickers for your car

Advertisement