Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel Swim

Options
  • 20-01-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Have been thinking about this for a while. I'm provisionally planning to attempt the channel swim in August 2015. I have swam for a club up to the age of 16. Am now 27 and I'm currently swimming 4 to 5 times a week. Just wondering if there are coaches or people knowledgeable enough to give some advice on the type of training and preparation needed. Or even point me in the right direction. Any help would be great. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

litmanen22 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been thinking about this for a while. I'm provisionally planning to attempt the channel swim in August 2015. I have swam for a club up to the age of 16. Am now 27 and I'm currently swimming 4 to 5 times a week. Just wondering if there are coaches or people knowledgeable enough to give some advice on the type of training and preparation needed. Or even point me in the right direction. Any help would be great. Thanks! :)

good on you mate that's a great challenge. i train with a friend who is currently in training for a 2014 crossing. the big thing i can see is dealing with the cold. getting in now even if for a few minutes and really toughening up. taking cold showers that kind of thing. trick seems to be building up a very steady mileage to avoid injuries and working on nutrition, ie what you will be drinking and eating and how often. how much mileage you getting out of your sessions?

i'd imagine a lot of the challenge is in your head once you're conditioned for it. given your background in swimming there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it if you put in the work and are able to deal with the cold. any extra body fat looks to make a big difference.

the longest i've swam is 10km in a wetsuit so please don't read too heavily into anything i've said :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

A great challenge do aim for.
    Where are you based?

Lots of information can be found on the below forum
    http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

www.loneswimmer.com is also a good source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks for the links again guys.

I can happily answer general Channel questions here that might help more people who are interested. Also there are about 50 English Channel solo swimmers in Ireland, we are a very successful nation at it and most Channel swimmers will be happy to help anyone who asks. I've also coached a Channel swimmer and crewed on plenty of Channel swims including the world record and the first male butterfly swim (as well as writing loneswimmer.com and being a co-founder of marathonswimmers.org).

Shoot if you have any questions and I'll pop in and answer them or point back to relevant stuff I've already written.

Advertisement