Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopelessly addicted to...

Options
  • 20-01-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Android: Netrunner in my case. I simply can't get enough of it at the moment. I've only played against one other person (who posts here as it turns out), but we've had plenty of games. I've tried everyone except Jinteki at this point. Always looking forward to my next game. I've even bought the first data pack already. Need those new agendas to open up options. :pac:

It's been a long time since I got into something new (game, tv show, even hobby) and was hooked so immediately, or found it so fulfilling so quickly. I'd almost compare it to The Wire. That feeling that you've discovered something special, and want to share it with others!

So, what is your board game addiction of the moment that you'd like to share with us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Android Netrunner also has its hooks in me. Always a fan of The Resistance - any excuse to break it out. Besides them I'll happily flit between various games...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Gonna be another vote for Netrunner here. the Second Data pack just arrived in the post this morning too. I've always enjoyed card games but the asymmetry of this one has really grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I also have become recently addicted to this game.

Lots of people play it online via octgn as well: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/wordpress/anr/installation/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Aaaaand, now this is the Netrunner thread! Fengol, this is my first card game, and perhaps that's why it's grabbed me. But I also love the setting - who doesn't love cyberpunk dystopia! And the asymmetry is great too!

Question for you guys... do you prefer playing Corp or Runner, and why?

Thus far, I prefer Corp, because I always know what I want to do, or what I'm trying to achieve. As the runner, I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be doing tbh. Now, obviously, I understand that I'm here to steal agendas, but on a deeper level... do I run central or remote... what should I be including in my rig, what's a good balance of icebreakers, hardware etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Aaaaand, now this is the Netrunner thread! Fengol, this is my first card game, and perhaps that's why it's grabbed me. But I also love the setting - who doesn't love cyberpunk dystopia! And the asymmetry is great too!

Question for you guys... do you prefer playing Corp or Runner, and why?

Thus far, I prefer Corp, because I always know what I want to do, or what I'm trying to achieve. As the runner, I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be doing tbh. Now, obviously, I understand that I'm here to steal agendas, but on a deeper level... do I run central or remote... what should I be including in my rig, what's a good balance of icebreakers, hardware etc.

Yeah I'm addicted to Netrunner too, am thinking about it half the time I'm not playing it.

I like both sides but think I prefer the Corp overall, it can depend on the particular deck you're playing though.

As the Runner, you should run early and often before the Corp get their defences up. Where you run depends on what Corp they're playing, but target R&D if they don't put ICE there on the first turn, even if you don't nick an agenda you get to see what they will draw next turn.

Run HQ to look at their hand and if they seem cagey about it, could be agendas there too.

Run for information - if they have to rez ICE to defend, that usually costs them money, slowing them down, and gives you information - you now know what breaker you will need to get past.

In the early game the runner has the advantage, the mid game it shifts to the Corp, then late game when you have most or all of your rig out it's back with you. If the Corp is going to win they need to race the runner in mid game.

• Advertisement

That's a bad generalisation. It all depends on what corp and what runner... For example shaper is strong late game when they get their rig built, so corp should try to score early. Whereas criminal seems strong early game, and you must watch out for inside job.

Obsessively playing jinteki RP online right now :D

That moment when the runner stimhacks into a junebug...

Nasty combos I meet a lot:
    Datasuckers + crypsis/mimic etc
    Reina + xanadu + rook
    Whizzard trashing econ

Some things new players miss:
    If you parasite some ice, you can put datasucker counters on it when you encounter it = immediate trash
    Similarly with ice carver
    Similarly with wyrm

I would recommend this site for building deck etc: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-deck-builder
    Can also be used to export to octgn for online play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Another netrunner fan here. Just have it a short while but am hooked already! Love the setting and the gameplay.

I've bought a few of the data packs already to spice up the deck building as I didn't think there was enough options in the core box.

They have the latest data pack, True Colours, in Gamers World for any who are interested, some great Corp cards in it, help even the playing field a bit, including a Netrunner card with an actual joke in the flavour text :) :

curtain_wall_true_colors.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Checked out OCGTN last night (with two windows open so I could join my own game). Looks like I need to watch that tutorial - interface has a couple of quirks that you need to understand to play a game...

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Checked out OCGTN last night (with two windows open so I could join my own game). Looks like I need to watch that tutorial - interface has a couple of quirks that you need to understand to play a game...

I'll be around tonight on Octgn if you want to try a game with someone who won't freak out at you not knowing the interface :) I've played it on Octgn before but am just getting back into it now so we could help each other out some.

The interface is quirky, mainly because it's designed for cardgames in general, and not just ANR, and the developers keep messing about with it and making some frankly bizarre changes.

You may find this hotkey cheat-sheet useful whilst getting to grips with the interface: https://raw.github.com/db0/Android-Netrunner-OCTGN/master/OCTGN%20Android_Netrunner%20Hotkeys.png

the F1/F12 stuff to begin/end your turn and the keys for successfully completing a run/accessing cards etc. are the most important ones. All can be done by right-clicking on an empty spot on the table and selecting from the menu you get there too.

• Advertisement

I'm on OCTGN as 2sj so if anyone fancies a game or two add me to your friend list and we'll see if we can't get some regular games going. Post your OCTGN names here if you want to speed things up a bit.

Am usually on 2-3 evenings a week, quite happy to arrange to meet in advance.

Might check out a tutorial for this. You know of any good ones?

And is the gameplay automated or do you have to resolve card effects manually?

Much is automated, but some stuff is not. Example: Corp has to manually pay the cost for additional ice.

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGECL7nom0

Might try out OCTGN tonight if anyone's up for a game. User name is osh.

osh wrote: »
    Might try out OCTGN tonight if anyone's up for a game. User name is osh.

I've added you as friend on OCTGN, I'll be on intermittently today and tomorrow, I'll give you a shout for a game if I see you there.

I've added you as friend on OCTGN, I'll be on intermittently today and tomorrow, I'll give you a shout for a game if I see you there.

Cool. I tried it for first time a few days ago. Haven't played a second yet. It's not too hard to get the general hang of. Had to ask a few questions but the guy I played was helpful.

Going to my first tournament on Sunday. I'm excited, but also nervous. I'm happy with my corp choice, but I don't really have a runner, and can't remember the last time I won as one.

Should be testing your stuff on octgn, everyone else does!

srsly78 wrote: »
    Should be testing your stuff on octgn, everyone else does!

Still haven't gotten around to this, as my PC is hooked up to my living room TV, but I think I'll get it loaded up on the laptop. I'm itching for another game... well, I always am really. Have got a ton of data packs now, and as a result have become far more interested in deck-building. Need to try out some of my more unusual ideas, as opposed to relying on a relatively predictable NBN deck.

Anyone tried out Caprice Nisei on Octgn yet? Insane card, using her in a Haas Bioroid big ICE deck and she's ridiculously good. Presume there must be a counter to her coming in the Honor & Profit box next month.

• Advertisement

Just played her for the first time, 50% success ratio. When the runner trashed her I used interns to just put her out again...

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just played her for the first time, 50% success ratio. When the runner trashed her I used interns to just put her out again...

I've won 4 of 4 Psi games so far, clearly I am the MASTER OF MIND GAMES!!!!

When the Runner knows the game-winning agenda is there too, a lot of them seem to think that you will automatically bet 2... ;)

I've played 4 whole games on OCTGN now (all as corp) :) got an amazing 50% win ratio going with my NBN deck. At the moment, I see this as a means to an end, but I don't like the UI or the system (which lacks automation, and is counter-intuitive) very much if I'm being honest. Not a patch on playing in person.

Everyone thinks that at first, but you just get used to it. It actually works very well once you know the shortcuts etc. The netrunner plugin does have a lot of automation, more gets added with each patch. Braintrust works automatically now for example, it didn't last month.

Playing in person is great, but limited to your local meta unfortunately.

I've played 4 whole games on OCTGN now (all as corp) :) got an amazing 50% win ratio going with my NBN deck. At the moment, I see this as a means to an end, but I don't like the UI or the system (which lacks automation, and is counter-intuitive) very much if I'm being honest. Not a patch on playing in person.

Fully agree but Netrunner is WAY more automated than most plugins for OCTGN - it's really just a virtual tabletop so it's not explicitly designed to do much for a game like Netrunner where you are regularly interacting with your opponents cards directly.

Most times when I am playing I do get the niggling 'wish I was playing this in person' feeling though - but it's a fine substitute.

Have changed my vote for best card in Double Time from Caprice to the ridiculously good NAPD Contract:

NAPD-Contract-Double-Time-Spoiler.png

Great fun building a huge ICE server to get people to 3 or less credits, then they hit this on the end, or, even better, installing it and advancing it once if they are on zero credits, then scoring it next turn (a bit risky if you think they have Stimhack :) )

Had a bit of a bad experience in a few games with runners stealing my clone retirement agenda, which gives me 1 BP. This completely screwed me over when it came to NAPD contract and taxing ice.

At present I don't play any ICE that gives me BP, or agendas that could do, just way too annoying, although there is also a card in Double Time to get rid of it, but it's Weyland so don't want to spend influence. Still, you now have one route to getting rid of BP that doesn't involve scoring an Agenda (very handy against those ****-awful annoying Blackmail decks).

Hard to build a jinteki deck without clone retirement tho :( It only gives you BP if the runner steals it.

I tried a proper BP deck a few times, can work surprisingly well. Profiteering can give you insane amounts of cash. I put in 3xIreress so my ICE was still taxing.. Runners were shocked, many had never seen that card played before! This was before blackmail came out tho, that card is brutal...

The only real counter to Blackmail (apart from losing the BP), is the shell game - install a load of one-ICE servers, then drop a card in each of three of them in one turn. They can't Blackmail all of them.

• Advertisement

Caprice too...

Have been running RSVP a lot with Jinteki:RP, comes in very useful with Caprice and with Sundew or NAPD Contract or Fetal AI.

Advertisement