Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Wear - Reviews

Options
  • 20-01-2014 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Can I please ask for reviews of the various maternity wear suppliers?? Price, quality, size, range etc. All info welcome. I'm especially interested in where people bought work wear. My initial browsing shows a huge amount of casual wear but not much formal wear.

I'm in week 16 of my first pregnancy and have no weight gain or emerging bump yet but I strongly suspect that once I start expanding it will be rapid!!!

I have one pair of black work trousers from New Look purchased in case I do expand quickly - I figure I'll be conscious enough of my new figure without being stuck in too tight trousers for days until I can get shopping.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

I've bought all of my maternity gear (except for two dresses in Asos which weren't a great size fit) from New Look. I've found their stuff to be really reasonably priced, and a good fit too.

The only issue I've had is that their range in their shops can be quite limited, so I've ended up buying online a couple of times too.

I haven't tried anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Another New Look fan here. I got a lovely dress and some tops for xmas from their online selection. Price is very reasonable. Nextdirect is ok but more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My work wear I got between M&S, Red Herring range in debenhams and Benetton. But I don't think benetton do maternity anymore? They don't have a maternity section in the cork shop anymore anyway. Their shirts/tops were the best for me anyway.

Over-bump trousers I found better than underbump.

Normal (non-maternity) waterfall-shape cardigans and blazers are ok all the way through pregnancy, didn't need to get new ones.
    Same for most wrap dresses.

Maternity tights, I found all of the high street ones to be annoying.. they all either dug in, got baggy around ankles, or rolled down, got I some in a maternity boutique. Preggers Pantyhose I think was the name of the brand.

Oh, I got bump bands in New Look, those are really handy for under floaty things.
    http://www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/shop-department/maternity-3-pack-black-white-and-grey-bump-bands-_240639109

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep I agree new look are good and the quality is good
    I got bits n pieces in mother care but these turned to rags in no time. Quality poor and some baggy awful looking things for sale there.

Over the bump trousers are the way to go for m too new look had nice jeans / trousers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Asos,Mothercare and H&M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Bought most of my stuff from New Look online. My local NL shop doesn't have a maternity line :( Found their stuff very well fitting and reasonably priced although their leggings are absolutely crap quality you'd get more wear out of a pair of sheer tights :eek: I also picked up a few bits in H&M, I found them to be fairly expensive but you'd get the odd bargain on a sale rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

For work stuff, I mostly bought it in New look and H&M and Mothercare. I found some of the H&M stuff didn't wash very well, but at least it's cheap!

Got a pair of black trousers in Next - disastrous, they kept getting baggier every time I washed them!

Dorothy Perkins have some nice dresses etc, don't think I ever actually bought anything there though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the Next stuff but it is quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi, i find shopping for Maternity wear so hard! I'm very lucky in that i haven't put on much weight and despite being 6 months a lot of my own clothes fit me, the downside is i just look fat instead of pregnant.

I found Debenhams the best, got jeans and trousers from there. I got a fab top in my normal size from asos but it was miles to big, i sent it back and ordered it two sizes smaller!

I ordered a couple of things from New Look but found them to big, great if you had a big bump but if it's small you'll be swimming in them. I think that all the maternity clothes are vanity sizes, meaning they're cut quite generously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I was told that you were supposed to buy your original size, just in maternity wear, unless youd gained other weight as well with your pregnancy.
    I bought maternity jeans in H&M the other week, and I would usually wear a 12. brought 12 and 14 into changing room with me and 12 wouldnt go above my knees! ridiculous! 14 went on, but were tight! I was thinking i didnt eat that much choc over Xmas! So out I went and got a 16, which were a little loose but more comfy for the last few weeks of pregnancy. I told the girl at the til about the sizing issue and she said that the last 2 seasons they've had ridiculous sizing issues in the jeans department. I cant imagine why anyone would buy jeans in there if you automatically had to pick up jeans 2 sizes too big!

Also found New Look sizes were enormous! everything too baggy in the arms etc. Figured it was a waste of time to buy online then as youd end up sending most of it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I bought one pair of over-bump black trousers from next, and I lived in them. I washed them three/four times a week and they lasted really well. I got one pair of over bump skinny jeans from red herring in Debenhams, really comfy. Also got under bump ones from next which I could wear with a belly band.

Tops wise, I just bought long tops in a size bigger from penneys for work! I didn't find I needed maternity tops as such, as there's so many empire-line style tops around.

Advertisement