Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of mattress

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys,

If I can feel the springs in my mattress in my rented studio apartment, is it time to change it?

Because I've been having lower back aches when I wake up but am not sure if it is due to the state of the mattress or not. The landlady won't cover the cost for me if I want to change it but I'm only going to be staying there for another 8 months, so I'm not sure if its worth it to change it :confused:

any advice would greatly help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just buy your own, store the springy mattress under the bed or in press. There are a few things in life you should not cheap out on and a mattress would be near top of the list. You spend up to 8 hours on a mattress every day, that's almost 33% of your time. Well worth investing in a good one that supports your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get a good mattress topper. They can be found at decent enough prices on Amazon. Then, when you move, you can simply lift and shift it!

Alternatively you can buy your own mattress which you could take with you. Either way, at least you'll know who's been on your mattress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I got a single mattress for €100 from beds.ie

It's not the 8 months you need to worry about, it's the 5 years afterwards that you may end up paying to sort out a bad back!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ChaosD

Oh my gosh, thanks guys for all the advice and tips!!! :):):)

I'll be getting a mattress, thanks so much again for the prompt replies and where to get a decent prized mattress!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For an extra bit, beds.ie shall take away your old mattress, if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

the_syco wrote: »
    For an extra bit, beds.ie shall take away your old mattress, if you want.

Better to keep the old one or the OP will have to leave their nice new one behind when they leave in 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A good mattress is never a waste. People often spend more on their sofa or TV. In reality your mattress should be the most expensive of the three as you spend the most time on it.

If you stay in a hotel and their mattress is better than your one at home your mattress isn't good enough. I'd buy a proper memory foam pillow too for the full expereince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

SuperValu have memory foam toppers for a reasonable price. I've just bought a double one for the spare room for E39. Have a look there, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I got an amazing latex one from Ikea for like €220 for a double and I have no issues with it. Its over 3 years old and its just as good as the day I brought it. I cant understand people that get the ****ty €60 blue ones that are made in Ireland and are in bits after a few years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Best mattress toppers I've found- are from Ikea. Not cheap though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement