Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme Application

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I'm doing my Leaving Cert in 2014, and I'm applying for the HEAR Scheme, but I have a question about it that no one can seem to explain, and if anyone can answer I would be grateful. I'm just wondering, when I fill out my CAO form, if I get the HEAR, does it only count towards my first choice? If I don't even get enough for my first choice and the HEAR can't help, will I have the HEAR fpr my second choice?
    Thank you!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nsc_p091

Hey, I'm applying for the hear scheme also and I would love to know the answer to this question also. I always presumed it was applicable to all of the choices but after reading your question I'm also curious:L it doesn't make much sense for it to only apply to your first choice though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It will count towards any of the courses on your CAO. By the way you say it do you mean points reductions ? If you are accepted by HEAR, you won't know for sure until after the LC has finished, this is intentional, you will be accepted as a HEAR student whether you needed the extra points on the course. In actual fact, once you are accepted by HEAR, you are competing not against other CAO students, but HEAR students for that course, which is anywhere between 5 and 15 % of places on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fuzzmore

So if I get accepted, but I don't get a spot for my first choice, do I then compete for a place in my second choice with the HEAR students?

Fuzzmore wrote: »
    So if I get accepted, but I don't get a spot for my first choice, do I then compete for a place in my second choice with the HEAR students?

yes, i initially got my 8th choice as a HEAR student, and then got my 1st choice as a HEAR student the following year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fuzzmore wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing my Leaving Cert in 2014, and I'm applying for the HEAR Scheme, but I have a question about it that no one can seem to explain, and if anyone can answer I would be grateful. I'm just wondering, when I fill out my CAO form, if I get the HEAR, does it only count towards my first choice? If I don't even get enough for my first choice and the HEAR can't help, will I have the HEAR fpr my second choice?
    Thank you!!
    I'm not an expert on HEAR by any means, but I do know that there's no such thing as it applying only to your first course choice on the CAO.

Just out of curiosity, what put that in your head? Was it something someone said, or ... ?

• Advertisement

My guidance councilor told me, and of course I believed her, but I started thinking how stupid that was. So if I don't get my first choice I can still get my second choice through the HEAR? Even with the reduced points?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

yes, i initially got my 8th choice as a HEAR student, and then got my 1st choice as a HEAR student the following year

The following year? Weren't you already at college at that point, making that offer pointless? Or did you not go or something?

Shane15 wrote: »
    The following year? Weren't you already at college at that point, making that offer pointless? Or did you not go or something?

yeah i rejected the offer and reapplied the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

yeah i rejected the offer and reapplied the following year

Ah okay.

So if I don't get my first choice I can still get my second choice through the HEAR? Even with the reduced points if I need them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fuzzmore, your question has been answered several times above.

If you wish to query / confirm it further, I suggest you contact HEAR at the college you are thinking of applying to. ( Contact list )

Bumping old threads (posts deleted) won't help; you'll get the same answer and you obviously still won't be satisfied with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123cmcm

Hi I was wondering does anybody know if they are lenient towards missing deadlines? I indicated on my CAO form that I was applying and filled out half the form.

123cmcm wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering does anybody know if they are lenient towards missing deadlines? I indicated on my CAO form that I was applying and filled out half the form.

The deadlines are extremely strict. My friend offered to drive to their office the day AFTER the deadline because he had realised that he had been given a form for the wrong year and they said no and he was rejected..

Advertisement