Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places like Clare Glens?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'll soon be going to visit a friend near Nenagh in Tipp. Last time we went to Clare Glens, which I loved.. I was wondering if there are any more places like this in that region of Tipp...nice walking valleys with rivers, waterfalls etc! any advice is appreciated :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

So you like your waterfalls!? :)

You would be hard pressed to find anywhere else as beautiful as the Clare Glens (in terms of woodland and waterfalls) in Tipperary. Have you ever been to Coum Mahon/Mahon Falls? That is a very different experience but equally stunning, or possibly even more so depending on your interests. It's a cascading waterfall from the plateau surrounded by an wondrous glacial amphitheatre. I suppose you could describe it as many waterfalls (alongside the main flow), flowing down on different levels, but all meeting to turn into Mahon river. You can park about 10 mins walk from the falls so it's simple to get to.

Anyway, it's not in Tipperary but not so far either :)

There is a small waterfall at the base of Slievenamon (near Kilcash) but it might be a bit difficult to describe it's whereabouts. It's nothing too special anyway, but nice if you are in the particular area.

If you are feeling adventurous.....

Also in Waterford and seriously impressive, but takes a bit of a hike, is the river that flows from Coumshigaun. It must be in full flow to appreciate it (occasionally it is dry even in winter if there hasn't been much rain, yeah, imagine, not much rain!). Anyway, it cascades down a fairly gentle gradient, but there are a few drops where falls (not large) occur. What makes it so impressive is the rugged mountain backdrop. If you don't know the Comeragh mountains make sure you buy OS map 75 (Discovery) and be careful because the weather can close in fairly quickly even on what starts out to be a reasonable day.

After a period of very wet weather, there is a cascade from the plateau of the Comeraghs to the Sgillogue loughs below. It's a good hike in the mountains, and again, if you don't know the area, bring a map and be safe.

For a leisurely stroll...

Glenary river has a fairly rapid flow and has a nice woodland walk, but no falls as far as I'm aware. There's also a nice castle ruin. It's close to Clonmel.

Glenagarra wood near Cahir has a nice woodland walk and a fast flowing stream

If you do visit any of those locations I would be interested to hear what you think. And if you find some waterfalls that I don't know about, please update me!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭john d nevin

Haha you could say that alright Silva.. its not just the waterfalls, its the general landscape thats usually found around waterafalls, valleys, glens, strange rock formations etc. all makes for interesting and varying landscapes which I love to explore and learn about!
    Theres some great information there, thanks alot! I have seen pics of Mahon falls it looks amazing alright, but for this current visit I will be in west Tipp and don't think it would be worth while going as far as the Comeraghs! It would be a similar lenght drive from where I already live!
    I still havn't fully explored Clare Glens so maybe a full morning there will be in order! Who knows.. If I can locate any more valleys/glens with rivers some spontaneous exploring might be in order :) I will certainly let you know if we come across anything worth noting...
    Heres a page I came across which peaked my interest, and it might peak yours too :)

http://irishfireside.com/2011/06/02/my-super-secret-waterfall-in-county-tipperary-ireland/

Thanks again Silva, chat again soon I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

It's certainly peaked my interest, but doubtful I'll ever find it! Maybe I can trade my secret waterfall near the Knockmealdowns for the heads up :)

If I find the time, I might stick some photographs onto flickr and load them up here in case any one else enjoys the beauty of the waterfall :)

Enjoy the exploration..... Clare Glens is definitely worth a second visit. The adventure trail is great, but perhaps not for the faint hearted especially after very wet weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

Climb the Devils Bit mountain in Barnane? on a clear day can see all over Tipperary

ill look into it also - thanks Sterling! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Garykennedy is one of my favourites for walks, pub grub & some Sunday drinks ;)

Great MonstaMash that looks like a lovely spot alright, not far from where I'll be staying either, thanks very much :)

Advertisement