Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlete, haven't started studying yet, HELP

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So basically, it's the end of January and I have done no study! Well I've done stubs and drabs on top of homework, class tests and all of that. Mocks are in two weeks and I'm stressing them quite a bit but they're not the be all and end all at the end of the day. I need around 515-520pts which I know is REALLY HIGH! I was wondering is it too late to get the points and should I look for a lower points course? Also I'm an athlete and train 3-4 times a week. The subjects I do are all higher level: Geo, Bio, Econ, French, Irish, English, Maths.

I need some help and guidance, I'm really stressing and can't muster up the motivation to study at all:( HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Stressing out isn't helping: just think of the effort and motivation you put in to your athletic training, and start dedicating yourself to your studies in a similar, serious way. At this stage you should consider reducing your training somewhat in order to apply yourself properly to the Leaving Cert.
    Nobody here can tell you whether or not you are capable of achieving your points requirement: you have ample time to change your CAO application later in the year, and could speak to your career guidance counsellor about alternative courses to add to your application just in case that you don't get offered your first choice.
    Someone else asked the same question lately and I'll give you the same advice I gave them: it's not too late to start focused study, but it will be if you don't start NOW! Don't get bogged down thinking about the study you haven't done so far; just get into a routine and get organised - make it count from now on!
    Best of luck with it, again try not to stress too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Firstly make yourself a proper, structured PLAN of what you are going to study each day. Look at each subject and divide up all the topics and make sure you are focusing on every topic at some stage over the months. Its been a few years since I was in this setting but use past exam papers. This is great study practice and will show you whether for every subject can you drop some topics. You will also know what examiners are looking for. e.g. In biology maybe most years they ask you to pick 3 diseases of your choice and discuss or are they more specific?

Also review where you are at study wise every few weeks with topics covered and left to do.

My interest is mainly in Maths(H.L) so for this you do need to write out and practise questions. For me that was the only way to learn it and know what you are good at and need to focus more on. Dont be afraid to ask fellow students questions and your teacher. I could be spending hours trying to figure out a q only for one of my friends to show me in a few minutes. People can look at things differently.

Finally and probably most importantly, organise your notes. The last thing you need when you getting down to study is to be searching everywhere for that question you did a month ago in maths. If you are tidy and structured with your notes it will help a lot with the stress and the panic. Also be sure to make use of your career guidance counsellor re CAO options.

Best of luck OP and I hope everything works out for you.

Advertisement