Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to mortice a lot of ash

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I've a load of 27mm planks of ash, that I need to do a lot of ~30 mm morticing. I thought I could do it with a pillar drill, so got a mortice bit (with chisel on the side), but..not so much.

Anyone got advice on how to do this properly ? I'm loathe to spend more than €150 on a solution, and suspect a morticer good enough to do 30mm ash is likely spendy. Are there any places near Dublin that would rent me something that'd do the job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Odelay

How many motices? Used to do 30 in a day with a pillar drill, chisel and a very sore shoulder. Ash is a pain in the ass. A joinery would do it for you but would be hard to let you use their equipment or borrow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

I'd estimate maybe 100. I did the first ~8 with jig saw & chisels, but it seems to be taking me about 20 mins each.

Arguably, ash is a pain in every single upper body muscle. It's the first time I'm working with it, and I'm amazed that it's so hard that I can actually cut myself off the 90 degree corner, once it's planed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Depending on how deep the mortice is a router might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Depending on how deep the mortice is a router might be the way to go.

;) Agree. Make a jig with ply or mdf to take the bushing supplied with the router.I'd invest in a downcuttung spiral bit which will give you a smooth cutting action.There are dedicated mortice and tenon jigs made by Trend and Leigh - unfortunately way above your budget.
    I've gone over to the Beadlock system, a jig which lets you insert loose tenons which works a treat.It uses an electric drill to make the mortices and you can mill your own tenons on the router table.

Advertisement