Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Smokes a day to 10K

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have recently quit fags, again! I was smoking 10 JPB a day for the past 15 years. I used to to pretty fit up until my mid twenties when I bought a car and then got married and had kids and have pretty much used them as an excuse to not have time to exercise. Anyway, my goal this year is to actually get back into running again and properly this time!

I started yesterday with a light 3.5K run which took me 34 mins. I ran for 15 mins, walked for 4 and then ran for 15 mins. I found it tough going, especially around the muscles near the chest and around the shoulders. My legs felt pretty ok, I found it frustrating that I couldn't go any faster as I still remember the days when running came easy to me. I done the same run this morning in 32 mins, this time I ran for 15 mins, walked for 2 and ran for another 15 mins, it was difficult again but I will say that I felt fantastic after each run. I am going to give it a rest tomorrow and go back out on Tuesday morning. I plan on doing the same run for about a week or two until I start feeling a bit more comfortable with it and I suppose to build up a fitness base.

I am hoping to run a few 10K's this year starting with The Eamon Moloney 10k in Ennis at the end of March and then the 10K in Limerick in may. I am hoping to start following a training plan for these after the first couple of weeks running when I start to feel a little better and I am back it the swing of things.

Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated and I will update how I am getting on at the end of each week.

Cheers Lads :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great stuff tony, I look forward to following this an seeing your progress. As an ex-very heavy smoker myself I know how hard it is to give them up but for me running was what kept me off them for good. As you get fitter you'll care about them less and realise how much harder it would be if you were still smoking and you won't want anything to hinder your progress.
    Consistency is key for you now. Just stick to your 3 days a week or whatever you're currently doing without fail, unless you're injured or not feeling well. Don't worry about pace too much for the moment and don't kill yourself on every run. Time on the feet is more important at this stage and increasing the run bit and decreasing the walking bit gradually. Great to have the race goals too. You'll get lots of super advice from the experienced folks around here so if you have specific questions you should post them here and someone will be along to help you out.
    GOOD LUCK And well done on giving then up for good;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Ososlo wrote: »
    Don't worry about pace too much for the moment and don't kill yourself on every run. Time on the feet is more important at this stage and increasing the run bit and decreasing the walking bit gradually.

+1

Consistency is key. Forget about the time ... in fact I'd suggest you might want to skip wearing a watch and just push the distance out a little. The pace will come down naturally.

Good luck ( a 10-year+ ex smoker!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I took a rest on Monday and Tuesday, I had hoped to get out on Wednesday evening or Thursday but I didn't manage. I was away in Liverpool from Tuesday night until late Thursday night for work. I had hoped to use the gym in the hotel on Wednesday after work and then meet my brother who lives in Manchester for a bite to eat, unfortunately, he turned up when I finished work and we went straight for some food and a drink. I had something light to eat and two pints, so I am pretty ok with that as I never drink.

I got out for a run earlier tonight though so I am happy with that as that is 3 runs in 7 days which is fine for my first week. I done the same route again, just to see how I would fare and I ended up doing it in 26 minutes of which I walked the first 5 to warm up and walked for 2 during the run, its actually 3.75K, not 3.5K. I wasn't trying to improve my time, I just jogged at what I felt was a comfortable pace and I found it much easier this time, towards the end I felt a little stitch but I was fine and really enjoyed it.

I am going to push on to 5K on Sunday and I will just jog it at a comfortable pace. I think I am already starting to get bitten by the running bug as I can't stop talking about it to my wife who is probably fed up of listening to it already but she is delighted I am enjoying it!

Done the 5K this morning as I was feeling good. I walked the first 5 mins to warm up and 2 mins in between. I finished at 28 minutes and felt good, muscles are starting to feel a bit sore around the arms and chest so I will take a break tomorrow and go back out on Monday. I suppose I could shave a few mins off the time if I ran the whole thing which wouldn't be bad considering my current level of fitness.

I have used mapmyrun and it isn't logging the whole run, it just does the time but last night it only logged 0.6 k which is really annoying. Can anyone recommend a better app to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I used endomondo free before i got a garmin and it worked great most of the time. I only ever it not tracking distance once.

• Advertisement

I went out last Monday and done 5K again, this time I used Runkeeper and it was 34 mins, so mapmyrun had my time way off! Anyway, it didn't bother me too much, I was running the full 5K without having to walk and I felt comfortable, although, my left ankle did feel stiff and it radiated up to my shin so it made it a little uncomfortable at times.

I went out Wednesday again and decided to try start pushing myself a little harder, this time I ran the 5K in 27 mins and I was delighted with myself, I found it tough for the last 5 or 6 mins but more so because my left ankle was acting up again but just stiffness, no pain or anything like that, it was affecting my stride on the run which was very annoying but I felt good other than that.

I skipped Friday as the legs were a little sore and the weather was nuts, the weather was still nuts on Sat but I didn't want to miss another day so I went out in the hurricane and rain, I decided to go a different route this time which was a little shy of 5K, I did it in 26 and a half minutes which I was happy with considering on the way back, I had to run about 2K of it up a gradual hill with the wind and rain hitting me in the face, my ankle was stiff again though but felt fine after the run again, it is very frustrating, I am stretching for 15 mins before and after and it doesn't seem to be helping, would anyone have any tips for this? I felt great after the run, there is something about running in the rain and getting home after it, I felt very alive after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

tony1980 wrote: »
    I went out last Monday and done 5K again, this time I used Runkeeper and it was 34 mins, so mapmyrun had my time way off! Anyway, it didn't bother me too much, I was running the full 5K without having to walk and I felt comfortable, although, my left ankle did feel stiff and it radiated up to my shin so it made it a little uncomfortable at times.

I went out Wednesday again and decided to try start pushing myself a little harder, this time I ran the 5K in 27 mins and I was delighted with myself, I found it tough for the last 5 or 6 mins but more so because my left ankle was acting up again but just stiffness, no pain or anything like that, it was affecting my stride on the run which was very annoying but I felt good other than that.

I skipped Friday as the legs were a little sore and the weather was nuts, the weather was still nuts on Sat but I didn't want to miss another day so I went out in the hurricane and rain, I decided to go a different route this time which was a little shy of 5K, I did it in 26 and a half minutes which I was happy with considering on the way back, I had to run about 2K of it up a gradual hill with the wind and rain hitting me in the face, my ankle was stiff again though but felt fine after the run again, it is very frustrating, I am stretching for 15 mins before and after and it doesn't seem to be helping, would anyone have any tips for this? I felt great after the run, there is something about running in the rain and getting home after it, I felt very alive after it![/QUOTE
    Hi Tony, great that you are improving and enjoying your running but don't push every run, slow and steady and build it up. Re the ankle I d say get it checked with physio just in case you are doing any damage, you are doing well and don't want to be laid up!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Best of luck. I began running in sept 2012 gave up the fags last feb and havent looked at a fag since. I found running a great incentive to stay off the fags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

tony1980 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently quit fags, again! I was smoking 10 JPB a day for the past 15 years. I used to to pretty fit up until my mid twenties when I bought a car and then got married and had kids and have pretty much used them as an excuse to not have time to exercise. Anyway, my goal this year is to actually get back into running again and properly this time!

I started yesterday with a light 3.5K run which took me 34 mins. I ran for 15 mins, walked for 4 and then ran for 15 mins. I found it tough going, especially around the muscles near the chest and around the shoulders. My legs felt pretty ok, I found it frustrating that I couldn't go any faster as I still remember the days when running came easy to me. I done the same run this morning in 32 mins, this time I ran for 15 mins, walked for 2 and ran for another 15 mins, it was difficult again but I will say that I felt fantastic after each run. I am going to give it a rest tomorrow and go back out on Tuesday morning. I plan on doing the same run for about a week or two until I start feeling a bit more comfortable with it and I suppose to build up a fitness base.

I am hoping to run a few 10K's this year starting with The Eamon Moloney 10k in Ennis at the end of March and then the 10K in Limerick in may. I am hoping to start following a training plan for these after the first couple of weeks running when I start to feel a little better and I am back it the swing of things.

Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated and I will update how I am getting on at the end of each week.

Cheers Lads :)

How did all that go ?

Advertisement