Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1926 census

Options
  • 19-01-2014 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

1926 census should come out because it would be possible for many ppl to find that there ancestors went

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The Census records are released after 100 years - so for the 1926 census it would be due for release in 2026.

Now the fact that no census was taken when it was due in 1921 has led to suggestions that the 1926 census should be released early. However, to do so would require a change in the legislation relating to the release of the Census information. The government says they wish to 'enable' bringing forward the release date but it requires major preparatory groundwork. There are no indications that the preparatory work has started or when the new legislation might be brought forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The US have a 70 year rule when it comes to Census data been released, 1940 been the most recent. I'd be in favour of something along the lines of that (75-80).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We have a couple of threads about it in the Genealogy forum, which details some of the issues. Having lobbied the Dept of the Taoiseach myself, the conclusion I drew was that the CSO doesn't want to do it yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78882551

See also this link from Claire Santry's Irish Genealogy News blog:

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2013/05/1926-census-stand-up-and-be-counted.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Same old, same old...can't, shan't and won't...last one out switch off the lights. If Paul Kehoe had a braincell it would die of loneliness. As his office is a few hundreds yards from where I live, I think I'll give him a call this week and rattle his cage about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

they should bring them all out them up until around 1960

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

they should bring them all out them up until around 1960

That's ok, but Grandpa's address in 1960 could have been Mountjoy Prison (for hitting a garda, or stealing turf during a cold winter when money was scarce,) and Grandpa might still be very much alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

70 years is the shortest time sealing for a census that I know of - which is in America. They'll never go lower than that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

like id love it to come out because we foiund pl living in one of our fields and would likes to see wghen they died etc

Advertisement