Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braxton Hicks?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Well I'm nearly 28 weeks and like with my first baby been getting BH from 20 weeks with number 1 and 15 weeks with number 2. Thing is I'm getting them daily and there's plenty of them. Anyone else finding this? My cousins girlfriend is 7 weeks behind me she had twins then a boy and this is her 3rd pregnancy (4th child) and never had them at all with any of them.

Is it really ok to have so much of them. The whole belly tightens and I even have a weird sensation (can't describe only it's not painful) in the back of my throat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I get them all the time and some are very painful: some people just aren't aware of them at all!

The hosp said anything under two years between babies can heighten them. I feel them all day long. And at least 1-2 very very painful ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah some have been painful too. There will be nearly if even 12 months between my two. But in saying that I had them with number 1. Iv always been in tune with my body though.

Just strange how different pregnancies can be. My cousin didn't feel any kicking until 4 weeks before giving birth. Her sister never got to feel any of the kicks so took advantage of feeling my belly for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I didnt have them at all really first time. So got a bit worried when started getting them around 28 weeks. Now 32 weeks im getting them on and off. Not daily. Tummy tightens and i get this weird feeling like i cant breathe for a second or like my chest tightens. There will be 23 months between my 2.

yea its like it goes all the way up your chest to the throat cant explain it fully..
    It scared me first time round I didnt expect them

this time though there driving me mad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is my 4th and never had them.
    It sounds a bit early to me so don't forget to mention it to your gp/midwife/consultant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

If you're getting them really frequently I would definitely talk to your gp/midwife. I started getting them at 23 weeks on my (1st) pregnancy. Was getting them as often as every 2-3 minutes for hours on end everyday. Got that feeling in the throat too. Was told I was at risk for preterm labour, even ended up finishing work early to rest up.
    Of course ended being induced for being over dates!!
    But do mention it as I was checked for infections etc in case they were causing it

I know when pregnant with my first I did plenty but when I felt I was doing too much I could just rest or lie down. Now with a 9 month old and 28 weeks pregnant it's harder to get the rest needed not to mention sleeping at night is hard at the moment.

Maybe I'll say it to them see what they think. I'm due for a scan Monday week. I know there more intense this time but I'm pinning it on been so soon after giving birth. But I'm not medically trained

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Make sure your drinking enough too: they are worse if you're even slightly dehydrated. I've been getting them since 20 weeks definitely, probably felt my first 1/2 around 18 weeks. Just thought it was too early at that stage for them.

It's worth giving a ring if your worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm getting what I assume to be them on a daily basis, tight tummy, really painful. First night it happened I was fit to call the A & E, but managed to talk myself down saying I'd know when it was real labour, to wait for something more!

Whoever wrote that it was "mild discomfort" was clearly a man!

The one thing I do lots of been pregnant is drink. I was told to drink lots of water and some orange juice along with an orange and apple a day because I'm b12 deficient and can't get injections while pregnant. All new to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

This is my third pregnancy but my first to make it to the 2nd trimester and I've been getting BH daily since 15 weeks or so. I rang the hospital and they said it was totally normal, I also asked my consultant and he agreed. I've asked a few midwives at this stage and none were concerned. Apparently everyone starts getting them at 12 weeks but some people just don't notice them until they get stronger towards the end of pregnancy, or think it's the baby moving! The first few times I noticed them I thought it might be the baby moving, but then I realised what it was. Mine don't hurt, they're just uncomfortable if I'm stuck sitting when one hits (I.e. In the car). I'm sure they will get worse as my uterus gets bigger!

Keeping hydrated definitely helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'm on my fourth pregnancy and I've found that I've got them earlier with each pregnancy. I do notice that they tend to come on when I'm stressed or overdoing it physically and I take it as a sign from my body that I need to relax. I find walking, swaying, rocking on all fours or floating on my front in a warm bath really good for easing them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had very strong ones on my last pregnancy evict was my 2nd. I also found being very physical active brought them on. I also found they came in fits and starts so I'd have none for weeks and they'd start again.

Advertisement