Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blew someting in my synth

Options
  • 19-01-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

So I unpacked my jp8000 from its case today to have a little mess around with it.
    Plugged it in but forgot to plug in the step dwn converter(Bought in the US)

Lights came on,started making a buzzing sound for 5 seconds and then lights went off.

Any Idea what I've done/ blown etc
    Also where is the best place to get it fixed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

seannash wrote: »
    So I unpacked my jp8000 from its case today to have a little mess around with it.
    Plugged it in but forgot to plug in the step dwn converter(Bought in the US)

Lights came on,started making a buzzing sound for 5 seconds and then lights went off.

Any Idea what I've done/ blown etc
    Also where is the best place to get it fixed

Check fuse in the wall plug first - hope it's only that! - If not, then 'electrofix' is the place to get it checked - or open it up and see if there's a fuse near the psu inlet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

ouch, pray it's a fuse! Sometimes there are 'overvoltage protectors'. If it's not fuses then you're probably looking at fried power supply-age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

its not the wall plug anyway.
    I have it opened but I have no idea what to look for

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Turns out there is no internal fuse:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/482444-mains-fuse-jp-8000-a.html

This explains all - including the info. that you didn't need an external 220 VAC to 110 VAC step down all along as the internal supply traffo has taps for every country. Doh!

Now, back to your problem, if you're lucky, the thermal windings break switch on that internal mains traffo went open and saved the rest of your synth from overvoltage damage. If you're unlucky, it didn't open in time. I've had luck bypassing these - requires surgery though. Time to check that synth in to a tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Try this guy, he's sorted me out in the past and was very reasonable. Highly recommend him.

http://www.retroactivesynth.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

I have done this with many a time with logitek meters. If you need help PM me I actually have a few traffos here handy that might suit for replaacement.

Advertisement