Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone

Options
  • 19-01-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

recommend me a college course for next year that might be relevant to the emergency services? particularly the gardai

I'v look around the usual sites but can't find anything. I'v done the security studies fetac level 5 already :D or has anyone done any good courses they could recommend to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

carzony wrote: »
    recommend me a college course for next year that might be relevant to the emergency services? particularly the gardai

I'v look around the usual sites but can't find anything. I'v done the security studies fetac level 5 already :D or has anyone done any good courses they could recommend to me?

You don't need any college courses for the gardai. If I were you, I would attend some of the interview preparation courses run by ex members specifically designed to show you what to expect and how to deal with it.

Any other college course your going to do is purely for personal interest.

Study something useful in case the Gardaí is not for you. Better to have something to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I know you don't need any but surely a few courses would look well to an interview panel. The reason I wanted a course related to the garda is because there's nothing else that really interests me. Only thing I can find is the forensics course but it might be a bit complicated lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I know you don't need any but surely a few courses would look well to an interview panel. The reason I wanted a course related to the garda is because there's nothing else that really interests me. Only thing I can find is the forensics course but it might be a bit complicated lol

The garda campaign specifically states that they have nothing to do with these courses nor do they condone them. Same goes for these policing diplomas ect. I don't think they will look into it much in interview, beter off making sure of the other aspects such as community involvement ect, they will be the aspects that stand out at interview in my opinion.

thekopend wrote: »
    The garda campaign specifically states that they have nothing to do with these courses nor do they condone them. Same goes for these policing diplomas ect. I don't think they will look into it much in interview, beter off making sure of the other aspects such as community involvement ect, they will be the aspects that stand out at interview in my opinion.

Alright lads thanks. Not sure what to do now lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Dont know anything about the Gardai but I'd say get out there and get some practical experience dealing with the public on a day to day basis.
    Probably worth having occupational first aid.
    Get involved with the community maybe, I imagine being somewhat of a people person is a must.
    Depends what you're into I suppose, this could be anything from helping to teach under 16's football, or working as a steward at the local GAA stadium..

Just my 2 cents. As I said above, I dont have know anything about the gardai or the recruitment process.

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Dont know anything about the Gardai but I'd say get out there and get some practical experience dealing with the public on a day to day basis.
    Probably worth having occupational first aid.
    Get involved with the community maybe, I imagine being somewhat of a people person is a must.
    Depends what you're into I suppose, this could be anything from helping to teach under 16's football, or working as a steward at the local GAA stadium..

Just my 2 cents. As I said above, I dont have know anything about the gardai or the recruitment process.

I'm involved with the civil defence so that's sorted already. I was just looking to do another college course. I might do the social studies course.

Personal question, how old are you? What life experience do you have?

foreign wrote: »
    Personal question, how old are you? What life experience do you have?

I'm 21. Worked in a shop for 2 years and went back to college last year. Was planning on doing another course this year obviousally.

I told you what I found most beneficial. It might not have been what you wanted to hear but that's how it is. The ability to listen is also a sought after quality ;)

Best of luck if you do go for it.

• Advertisement

bravestar wrote: »
    I told you what I found most beneficial. It might not have been what you wanted to hear but that's how it is. The ability to listen is also a sought after quality ;)

Best of luck if you do go for it.

I'm looking for a third level course. Not an interview preperation course. I've been through enough interviews over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

What about the area of Forensics? Either Forensics science or Digital Forensics? Surely the idea of a course is to teach you and develop you for that career. Only as hard as you make it!
    Also looks like you don't have a huge amount of community based vol work either, work on that bit too!

I'm looking for a third level course. Not an interview preperation course. I've been through enough interviews over the last few years.

How many were for AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Take a couple of minutes next time you post to actually think of a suitable thread title.

I'm 21. Worked in a shop for 2 years and went back to college last year. Was planning on doing another course this year obviousally.

It would be no harm living your life for another few years before joining. Take the opportunity to travel etc.

If you want to study, go for something that will stand to you outside the job. You could join and hate it. Even if you did forensics it will take at least two years before you can even apply for spots in Scenes of Crime or the TB. Even then, they are sought after spots and having an outside course done may not be a factor.

If you are solely interested in forensics then look at the path ways into the Forensic Science Lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Just because you were through the many interview process doesnt mean you got the possition on offer ,

The AGS prep courses run through the written tests aswell as the interviews , the interview for AGS is a compitenancy based process and very differant than thoes in the private sector or for college spots ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Do something you want to do, and be good at it. It doesn't matter if you spend a few years becoming an awesome ski instructor, a teacher or a shop manager, just do something and be good at it. Join the army? Usually gets you an extra 6% at the interview stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

one of the first questions they ask is how long have you wanted to joined the guards, say you tell them, oh for the last 3 years, since I turned 18, it really started becoming an option and appealing to me..

The next thing they generally ask is, why aren't you in the reserves?

Naturally that is assuming your not, if you are then they won't ask it. but it's a pretty good starting point, maybe look at joining if your serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

alexlyons wrote: »
    one of the first questions they ask is how long have you wanted to joined the guards, say you tell them, oh for the last 3 years, since I turned 18, it really started becoming an option and appealing to me..

The next thing they generally ask is, why aren't you in the reserves?

Naturally that is assuming your not, if you are then they won't ask it. but it's a pretty good starting point, maybe look at joining if your serious.

The reserves is not the be all and end all of garda recruitment interviews.
    The process is looking for people that can adapt to different situations and keep a cool head. People who can fit into a diverse team structure and work iffeciently by themselves. The reserve gardai is a good stepping stone but thats all it is really. If you are active with the civil defence thats good enough.

Speaking from experience beening as young as you are maybe stay with the civil defence for another while and go for the gardai in the next intake. The interview board will have a massive selection of people and will except the cream of the crop in their mind and ever since the raise in age limit more mature students are going to templemore. You see fewer and fewer lads fresh from the leaving cert getting accepted. Get some more life experience behind you first it will stand to you i garantee. Look to volenteer with a community group too like the scouts or a youth group human interaction is crutial. As for college courses there are no courses relevant to the gardai really and as for forensics and stuff thats in house stuff too gardai get trained after the fact for that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Learn another Language.....Asian, French (for Africa) or eastern European...
    may help down the road...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I would tend to agree with everything user "foreign" has said. If you asked seasoned members what you asked in your opening post, I have no doubt that his answer would be echoed several times. I'm not going to hijack his advice, all I'll do is hit the 'Thanks' button on the posts I agree with, and it's rare I do that unless I strongly agree with what someone has said.

Advertisement