Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare for College Students

Options
  • 19-01-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hello I was just wondering what social welfare payments are college students in full time education entitled to? if any?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

So from my understanding , You can get back to education allowance if you're unemployed during fulltime education but you wont receive the maintenance grant?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You can only BTEA if you are over 21 (24 for post grads) and have been receiving a qualifying payment (eg jobseekers, disability allowance, one parent family etc) for 9 months before you start a third level course or three months for second level (plc course, leaving cert). If you were on jobseekers, you are not paid the BTEA during the summer but can claim jobseekers if you cannot find work. You cannot get the maintenance grant but can apply to have the student contribution paid by SUSI.

So if I'm 18 , Starting a Third level course .. Renting out my own apartment I get nothing in terms of welfare pay .. only the SUSI Tution fees, Contribution and Maintenance fee (If Im able to get the full grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Unless you where made redundant but at that age you probably werent. SUSI is all you can get.

Students these days nearly all live at home with parents or work. Grants arent enough to pay rent like they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Hey Yall wrote: »
    So if I'm 18 , Starting a Third level course .. Renting out my own apartment I get nothing in terms of welfare pay .. only the SUSI Tution fees, Contribution and Maintenance fee (If Im able to get the full grant)

I hope you having signed a lease on an apartment on the basis that you thought you were going to get a SW payment?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You'll only get tuition fees, student contribution and maintenance? Those things aren't exactly pocket change. Most people work and/or are supported by their parents. If you get yourself a part time job now you'll have a nice cushion when you start college to pay your deposit and first months rent.

1) I understand that these grants are huge amounts of money
    2) Havnt started college yet or gotten an apartment so I have time to decide what I want to do
    3) My parents wont be able to support me .. They are just about able to support my other siblings as it is
    Obviously Part time work is going to be a necessity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Sharing a bedroom in a shared house is the cheapest. Bicycle all over the place for free. Part time jobs hard to find but can be done. Every college has a hardship fund. See the students union for an application form. I'm sure you'll get lots of tips in the students forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hey Yall wrote: »

Yep.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement