Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon rivers season tickets west of ireland?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Is there any rivers in the west of ireland which offer a season ticket? Back home there is a river called the coquet which my dad fishes, for the year its just over 100 quid. I enjoy salmon angling but cant afford to fork out 50-70 euro for a days fishing id be skint in a few short weeks! just wondered if this is an option in ireland. (the clare river doesn't count as i believe all of the clubs are full)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Is there any rivers in the west of ireland which offer a season ticket? Back home there is a river called the coquet which my dad fishes, for the year its just over 100 quid. I enjoy salmon angling but cant afford to fork out 50-70 euro for a days fishing id be skint in a few short weeks! just wondered if this is an option in ireland. (the clare river doesn't count as i believe all of the clubs are full)

The laune anglers association for the laune and killocrim anglers association for the feale......i am unsure of the price but its worth enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

thanks for that, ill look into it any more suggestions would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

thanks for that, ill look into it any more suggestions would be welcome!

I know a few friends that tried to get on the laune anglers waters and the flesk as a member and got turned down as they don't want people not from the area joining

I enquired about lismore /cappaquoin anglers in Waterford and got turned down and I know members in there already

Even the river lee in cork which is 5 mins from my house I can't get salmon angling on outside the dam fishery

I wonder if someone went along the legal route can they stop ya joining a club ? Discrimination ?

Theres alot of clubs along the feale, one of them will surely take ye. Killocrim anglers assoc, feale anglers assoc, listowel angling club, kilmorna fishing club......try all of the above.

checked out those rivers they are bit too far from me. im on the mayo galway border.

• Advertisement

checked out those rivers they are bit too far from me. im on the mayo galway border.

oh right sorry, i misread your original post i thought you said "southwest"

lol no probs!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Hi floattuber_lee,

My first choice would be the river Moy. It's one of the best salmon rivers in Ireland and there's loads of clubs on it. however you have to beware that most of this river is best suited to bait and spinner fishing. If its fly fishing you're after the best club would be the East Mayo Angler's Association. They have a good few miles of 'fly only' water and they also have plenty of stretches suitable for bait and spinning. The only thing about the E.M.A.A is that they require you to have purchased around 12 or 13 day tickets before they'll give you a membership which I think is about 250 per season and the day tickets are around 35/day.
    There is also the river Easkey just a little further north some of which is private but a lot of it is free. I've never actually fished it but from the few people I've talked to, I gather it can be a fantastic river if you hit it at the right time.
    Sometimes its best not to tie yourself to one particular river (especially when some membership prices are insane) and just spend some extra money in day tickets on different rivers and beats. Especially for someone like you that lives within reasonable distance of so many renowned salmon rivers and loughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Curlew

Suggest you visit ww.fishinginireland.info/ where you will get the relevant info and detail of licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

There hundreds of small spate along the west coast of Ireland that hold salmon and sea trout you be surprised where you can catch these beautiful fish...

There is a lot of rivers that are not even recognised as salmon rivers by the fishery board and you will never meet a fishery officer on them...

Take for example the lispole river in kerry, five salmon and countless sea trout caught there over one week last august and there isn't a club or assistance provided by anyone...

Take out an ordinance survey study your area and you can find little gems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

You can get them on teh moy in a few places. Ill be getting mine this year on a stretch close to my home. Have avoided buying tickets last few years though i hated having to move anytime i seen anyone suspicious coming my way incase they where bailiffs. Cant wait for the season to start so i can relax doing my fishing. Heres hoping i beat my 18lb record this year.

Advertisement