Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vtos to jsa

Options
  • 19-01-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

At the end of May I finish my first year of a 2 year course at college where I've been receiving vtos payments. They were based off my JSA claim which was means tested so I only get about €40 a week. Unfortunately I can't continue with the 2nd year straight away as in September discovered I was pregnant and due early June. I asked the welfare office about this and they said I'd need to make a new JSA claim. This is fine but I'm not sure how job hunting will work with a young baby as childcare will be near impossible with my other half (co-habiting not married) working full time and life already being difficult money-wise.
    I wouldn't mind returning to college in September but the baby will only be around 3 months old and a lot of places wouldn't take them on. Private carers are very expensive it seems.
    I was just wondering what options we actually seem to have right now. Currently the plan is to defer my second year of college till September 2015 and be a fulltime mum until then but then we lose the JSA as I'm not seeking work.
    I don't mind looking for work at all but then we have the childcare issue again and I lose my placement on the vtos giving me the option to go back (We simply cannot afford the fees). We need some financial support at the moment as though my partner has a good wage it's not enough with things like rent/the car/bills etc each month even though we've gone for cheapest option on everything and have removed most luxuries.
    So does anyone have any ideas of anything we could do with all this? Confusing I know but any advice welcome. Thanks

Advertisement