Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Landlord, what to do?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, my nightmare tenant is finally gone yay! But apart from leaving my house in a awful filthy unhygeinic state, she has also taken practically everything with her. Furniture is left but iron, hoover, pots pans, mop, cutlery etc... all gone.

I have her deposit, she owes me 2 weeks rent from it. Where do I stand with replacing all the item she has taken, can I take it from her deposit? Will she take me to court for doing so. Also, most of the house was left way beyond the usual wear and tear- all the upstairs carpets need replacing. Can I use her deposit for that too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can use the deposit to repair/replace any damage/theft that you can prove. For the missing items, provided they are listed on an inventory (or you have some other way of proving that they were in the property at the start of the tenancy) then you deduct from the deposit to replace them. Likewise any damage/cleaning. You cannot deduct for your own time, but you can hire an outside party provided they can give you a receipt.

They may decide to take a case against you with the PRTB, but provided you have all of your ducks in a row and can show what is missing/damaged and can provide paperwork to back up all deductions then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swangirl

Thanks for advice. Unfortunately no I dont have proof that the items were there but I will know for next time. I do have photos of the ruined carpets though, can I use the deposit to replace them?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

swangirl wrote: »
    I do have photos of the ruined carpets though, can I use the deposit to replace them?

You can, as long as the damage is not "ordinary wear and tear".

e.g. if the carpets are worn down to the floorboards but they are 10 years old then that counts as "wear and tear". On the other hand, if the carpets are a year old and they're ripped up and torn and red wine stains all over them then you can retain the deposit for that.

Advertisement