Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand v India

Options
  • 19-01-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

A big series for both teams.....India with an in-experienced top 6 and only 3 players who have been to NZ before and NZ building on a recent series win against the WI

Another sublime one day hundred from Kohli......Ind 200/4 in 39 trying to chase dowm 293 in another cracking one dayer:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

NZ simply too good for India today....India finish 24 runs short

There is Kohli and there is the rest

India might as well play an extra batter than have 10 overs of garbage from Ishant Sharma.....the sooner they get him out of the team the better:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

To be fair NZ bowled really well. Absolutely shocked they won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

More of the same please Black Caps!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

New Zealand haven't surprised me this series, they really have got their act together under McCullum, Their line up looks settled now with Ryder (minus a few kilos) Guptill, Williamson and Taylor, McClenaghan is a good pace bowler along with Southee, they prob lack an up and coming spinner though, Corey Anderson is a handy cricketer 2, They'd be dark horses for the T20 world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

New Zealand look a more than decent outfit.
    The Workd Cup next year could be very interesting, a number of teams with not much between them.

• Advertisement

India stay alive in the series but only just

Jadeja almost pulls off a Faulkner.......and ties a match India should have lost a long time ago

Another superb one day match:o

The bowling from both sides has been pretty ordinary but it's been NZ's fielding that has been the difference so far......some stunning catches at crucial moments in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

India apart from the money they generate are a waste of everyone's time on their travels. Zaheer past it, Ishant forever in the team and **** all else from the rest of the bowlers.

Dhawan abroad as well:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

How about this test match? Put in, NZ make 500. Bowl them out for 200. NZ are 90-9 now after deciding to bat again. Still a great lead but India are kind of back in with a chance now.

Bloody hell, India bowl someone out fpor just over 100, only seen the first few dismissals were New Zealand drunk?:D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    India apart from the money they generate are a waste of everyone's time on their travels. Zaheer past it, Ishant forever in the team and **** all else from the rest of the bowlers.

Dhawan abroad as well:D:pac:

Apart from SA every other test team is a waste of time on their travels as all the away results in the last 3-4 years indicate

As for NZ crazy not to enforce the follow on but still miles ahead in the game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

booth70 wrote: »
    Apart from SA every other test team is a waste of time on their travels as all the away results in the last 3-4 years indicate

As for NZ crazy not to enforce the follow on but still miles ahead in the game

Yeah you are spot on, such dominance from the home teams in majority of series of recent years has spoilt Test cricket.

Good test match but NZ deserved winners....too much for India to do after conceding a 300 run lead

Dhoni is fast reaching his sell by date as a Test captain and player......India will probably persist with him until the 2015 World Cup but they need to look at Virat Kohli as the Test captain for the England tour

Poor from Dhoni to be fair

firstly.

Jadeja needs someone in his ear all the time to be sensible. Dhoni should have calmed him down last night, instead once he got the deficit into the 70s he was still batting like Afridi on crack. All Dhoni had to say was "calm down, we got this"

Then did not rotate strike enough with Zaheer.

Ah well some good news for India, Sharma taking wickets guarantees he will be playing for India for the next 3 years! :D

Keep hearing about Jadeja's triple hundred in first class cricket, this was where he needed to show some of that. Good from Dhawan, he needed that.

Nice to see NZ winning again. After failing to beat England last year, a defeat here would have been a real killer for them.

Lack of DRS probably cost them in the end, I do prefer the finality of no DRS though.

2nd test nicely poised.....

India 201/5 in reply to 192

Ishant takes a 6 for:confused::confused:......can't believe it but its true:confused::confused::confused:

Kohli holds the key to the test.......can't see India wanting to chase anymore than 150 in the 4th dig.....they need a substantial lead here

Very good from Rahene, has done superbly overseas in his brief test career. This may be his best format.

Only negative was Nohit, such a bad shot to get out on a duck. I fear for him in England.

India,unsurprisingly, let NZ off the hook....94/5 becomes 252/5 at stumps

Dhoni really is reaching the end of the road as a Test captain......some bizarre field settings and tactics with NZ down at 100 for 5 still 150 behind:mad::mad:

They created chances though, McCullum was dropped a few times and the pitch is playing a lot better now.

Credit the the two Kiwis but India are still in a great position with two days to go.

94/5 to 252/5 to 548/6 !!!!!!

Brilliant stuff from McCullum....NZ deserve to win this now

Dhoni has had a bowl too....usually a sign that he has run out of ideas and has given up

A poor bowling unit with no pace bowling talent coming up the ranks back home in India + a negative captain who goes on the defensive at the first sign of trouble....I can't see India winning another test outside the subcontinent in the near future....certainly not with Dhoni as captain.....already dreading India's tour to England this summer!!

Australia after that as well!!

You have Yadev who is decent but he is discarded from test cricket because of his failures in white ball cricket, what is silly as red ball cricket is his best format.

Jadeja is not a frontline spinner unless its a massive turner although sadly nor is Ashwin. Oojha or Mishra?

• Advertisement

Dhoni would have probably swapped his world cup medal to be able to throw the third new ball to Mitchell Johnson. Run through them and chase 280 odd on the final day at their leisure.

Brilliant from McCullum and Watling. Test cricket at its best, why it's the only form of cricket.

Game is as good as safe now. India, to their credit ran in all day and fielded well. Big shortfalls in their bowling. They're meeting England at a good time but this attack won't be long giving them confidence again when they meet.

England will fancy smacking this attack about. Even India's great strength bar batting, spin bowling is a concern outside the sc. Neither Ashwin or Jadeja have troubled anyone to much unless it is really turning. Kumble and even Singh were able to get something out of non responsive tracks.

I dunno maybe give Ojha a go? Although he does not play for Chennai does he?:pac:

In the last few years some serious pounding they have taken, Clarke could have broke Lara's record against them, Cook got 294 and now this Mc Cullum innings.

I know people want Dhoni gone from test captaincy, but even then its still going to be the same bowling attack.

That's right, it was out of respect of Don Bradman's record Clarke didn't go for Lara's world record. Although I'm sure he played it off as putting the team first.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I know people want Dhoni gone from test captaincy, but even then its still going to be the same bowling attack.

Fair point.....but even if the bowling unit is crap you don't go on the defensive when NZ were 5 down and still in deficit!

Good article summarising Dhoni's captaincy abroad recently.....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-india-2014/content/current/story/719985.html

Fletcher and Dhoni vs Giles and Cook this summer......will be a test series to savour.....NOT!!!!

Fair to say that as long as the guy who owns Chennai Superkings is also in charge of the BCCI, Dhoni will remain India captain:mad:.......I have no problem with Dhoni as T20 and ODI captain but he is,IMHO,out of his depth at the Test level

Gillespy wrote: »
    That's right, it was out of respect of Don Bradman's record Clarke didn't go for Lara's world record. Although I'm sure he played it off as putting the team first.

To lazy to check but I think they knocked them over quite quickly, pretty sure it didn't even go long into the fourth day:p

The record was their and to be honest, he probably could have scored 500 if he wanted to, that India attack was dismal:D

Lets not forget the incredibly dour Angelo Matthews is also touring England firstly as well.

But back to India, they will have to win at least one test in England for Dhoni to survive, because at the moment they are dead in Australia. That's not me trolling India, but right now , my savings, my dads saving, everything I own I would place on Australia whitewashing them if I could.

For Dhoni its his least favorite format, if they get mauled in England and Australia, I think he will quit test cricket and focus on the ODI stuff as it will be a world cup year in 2015.

Karthik, Ojha, and maybe if feeling brave Samson may get a chance to take the gloves.

May as well try Kohli for test captain and see what he is made of.

Only other option would be Gambhir, not sure if Pujara strikes me as a leader.

They won by an innings and 68 runs in four days. Hayden has the Australian record, I then thought Bradman has the SCG record but he doesn't, Clarke did at least get that. Maybe, it's the highest score scored in Australia? There was something about Bradman. He should have gone for it. Funny reading some comments from that time calling for Haddin's head. Big change there.

Much like with England, there are no stand out candidates for the Indian captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

I would love to see McCullum get his triple century and for Neesham to get a century on debut

McCullum 302......considering NZ were 94/5 and behind by 246 this will easily be the second greatest ever 3rd innings score made by a batsman

.....second only to VVS's 281 against Australia in that famous test in Calcutta in 2001:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wowzers. Amazing achievement. Neesham to break his record by the end of play :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

A truly wonderful display by NZ who never get a fair crack of the whip when it comes to tours etc.

I wonder what the odds were at 5 down..........

Advertisement