Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abbey Theatre - Under scrutiny.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Yup the sound isn't great at all, and im never all that impressed by any of their productions. Definitely my least favourite theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Debate is always good. However the assessors are all men, all roughly the same age, all living in the UK. Not exactly a diverse panel.
    There are many views in the community about this article, a lot of discussion on FB too. This article is worth a read for an alternate view.

I would like to see the Peacock more utilised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah achill

I agree this debate has been long overdue. @Inisboffin - I did not know for sure that all the assessors are all men, let alone that they all living in the Uk!
    But you know I don't think its just the Abbey that is so antiquated I think its right across the board. For example they all say they want to hear from new writers, well I think this is only true in exceptional cases, and as long as they write the same old die for ould Ireland ****e that can be exported to an American audience. Irish Theatre, let alone the National theatre does not in any way represent contemporary Ireland, its boring, antiquated, narrow-minded and as dull as can be. Which is a pity as there is a lot of really exceptional writers, including myself:) who can't even get through the door because of the prevailing attitude of Irish theatre in this country. Irish theatre does not represent the people who should be going into these theatres, which is why they don't go! It's nothing more than a talentless, elitist old boys club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

@sarah - yeah the identity of assessors for this particular report was leaked. I'd imagine they have to rotate that somewhat.

I think there have been risks taken, depending on resident Artistic Director, but perhaps enough. And women playwrights? Of the 500 plays - 5 were written by women (3 by Marina Carr apparently). The one thing this report has done is to prompt people to discuss, and thus facts like this emerge. I wouldn't say it's a talentless or elitist old boys club, but it is imbalanced.

What is the point in a national theatre?

Interesting article from Garry Hynes here. It makes me wonder, what is the point of a National Theatre?

Is it a museum where we play out the same old tired plays for the american cousins? (We meet again, Sive, on over St. Patricks festival)
    Or
    Is it a place to regurgitate the same classics again and again? (Hello Juno and the Paycock and the Plough and the Stars)
    Or
    Is it a fact that live theatre is actually quite powerful, so instead of watching something relevant, a national theatre, frightened of their paymasters in Government, puts on performances that may entertain, yet not inform the average stiff off the street due to plays that have no relevance and are ridiculously expensive to the everyman?

• Advertisement
Advertisement