Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in together Claiming Legitimately

Options
  • 18-01-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Can anyone help please as I cannot seem to access the information needed in relation to a couple legitimately claiming state benefits whilst living together . Both my son and his girlfriend (neither working) are now expecting a baby and would like to live together legitimately. My son lost his job recently but does not have enough stamps paid to claim full dole.She does not work either. My son is actively seeking work and has also enrolled on an online distance IT course as he really wants to make a go of providing longterm for his new family. However in the interim he will have to avail of state benefits. He was already paying for an apartment and will be eligible for rent allowance . My question is should they legitimately claim as a couple / family unit and - who gets to 'collect' this allowance? We have noticed that it is most commonly the male who collects the state benefit but is it acceptable / possible for the female to collect the monies? In this case, my son's girlfriend would prefer that monies are paid to her rather than my son who has had problems in the past concerning gambling (which he admits to and is trying to rectify). This is a genuine request for information to help my son and girlfriend.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

the girlfriend makes a claim for herself and your son as a dependent adult,she will then be able to collect the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

That's what I was hoping to hear. Are there other female boardsies here who collect a similar payment, I wonder? Or perhaps Boardsies who know of others who do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

As mp22 says, the girlfriend can claim for herself and your son. 312 euro if they have no other means.
    When baby comes add 29.80 + 130 per month child benefit.
    The girlfriend will have to be looking for and available for work ,but your son does not.
    So when the baby comes she can continue to claim on the grounds that he is minding the baby..
    They will have to see the CWO about Rent Supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Golfwidow wrote: »
    That's what I was hoping to hear. Are there other female boardsies here who collect a similar payment, I wonder? Or perhaps Boardsies who know of others who do this?

Its far more common than you seem to think. Its really no big deal. I wish them the best of luck in this fresh chance.

Advertisement