Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know little about smartphones HELP.

Options
  • 18-01-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for my total ignorance in advance but I would really appreciate advice on a smartphone . I don't know anything about this area. When I try and read up about it I am lost as references are made to android (what???) 3G 4 G (?) etc etc about which I know nothing.

The following question sums up my ignorance. I saw app (??) for Irish Times you can download for Euro X a month. Yet I thought I can get the internet on a smartphone and I think you can read newspapers through that so why would I pay IT if I can gt the same service through the internet.

I see Nokia Lumnia i think for about 100 Euro. Is that a good enough smartphone? (My budget is around (Euro 80-120)

What would you recommend me to buy? Can you give me a list of things a smartphone should have. EG speed, memory, battery life, camera bytes (?)
    I would only want a PAYG phone.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What network are you on firstly?

Are you happy and want to stay on the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭bobbyss

O2 and want to stay PAYG. I saw Nokia Lumnia for 99E and thought that might be a good one to buy.

I'd like to have access to news (RTE perhaps) BBC maybe? a newspaper???
    I would mainly use it on wifi transport daily. How much would i be paying to basically do that? Do I have to have a contract? What would that entail? I dont have contract with present phone as it is so old etc. What memory should it have as a minimum?

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bobbyss wrote: »
    O2 and want to stay PAYG. I saw Nokia Lumnia for 99E and thought that might be a good one to buy.

I'd like to have access to news (RTE perhaps) BBC maybe? a newspaper???
    I would mainly use it on wifi transport daily. How much would i be paying to basically do that? Do I have to have a contract? What would that entail? I dont have contract with present phone as it is so old etc. What memory should it have as a minimum?

Thanks for your reply.

No contract is needed, if you go ahead and purchase the lumia 520 (Black or Red) you keep your number, credit and price plan all the same. You can leave o2 and move to another network and keep your number anytime you wish. You will however need an unlock code from o2 to use a different networks sim card in the phone, and o2 will not provide it till you spend €150 on topup.

If you are going to be just doing some light internet and news, emails etc the 520 will do that fine. The app store is here:> http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store

You can search for the Irish Times etc and download them to the phone from your pc, or search on the phone itself when you purchase it.

The lumia phones are on windows phone OS, the dedicated forum is here:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1594 if you have any questions after you get the phone.

Once your using wifi you wont be using your credit, but if you want to use data outside wifi then you need to change your plan, or get an addon for data. The o2 data addons are here:> http://www.o2online.ie/o2/prepay-addons/

If you want to post the amount of calls and texts you need, and the amount of credit you use to spend each month, it would help to pick the correct plan.

Advertisement