Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Way into midwifery at UCC?

Options
  • 17-01-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am into my second year doing arts. I Basically did it to give me time to decide what I want to do and have decided on nursing/midwifery. Currently my subjects are Philosophy and Religion and I can't stand the course I honestly never will have any interest in the subjects at all. I'm miserable and barely scraping by after having two repeats and failing two summer tests. I find it so difficult but still try hard. I would love to drop it and go into midwifery but i'd lose my grant and plus only got 445 points which wouldn't land me into midwifery anyway :(. I'm hoping that I will do well enough to finish my arts course so I can do something I actually want to do. My question is can I actually get into a nursing/midwifery course or do a masters after arts? :confused: Is it worth being absolutely miserable just to get into midwifery? Is there any other way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fairytots

I did the BSc in Midwifery in Trinity. I didnt get enough points in my leaving (rebellious student) and so I waited until I was a mature student to start. I applied under that category and was accepted after an aptitude test and 3 panel interview.

Midwifery is hard, it'll pull you from the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows within a split second. The theory is grand, the course work is ok, but actually working on the wards will tug parts of your heart that you didn't know existed. Dont think that you can leave work at work, with midwifery it doesnt work like that, work comes home.

I think lifes too short to waste time doing something your not happy with. Im not sure I'd stay in college just to get a grant, when I could be working for the year and saving for my next stint in college. I wish you the very best of luck with your career, and hope you make a decision that your happy with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kmayfo

Thanks for your response. I know that midwifery is a very hard job but I think the good aspects outweigh the bad and am aware that it won't always be a happy outcome but it really is what I want to do! Applying as a mature student is a great idea and getting a job would be handy but i've already put a lot of work and effort into the course I am in and even though I don't like it it would be a shame to leave it especially since I only have a year left! I could then start midwifery in 2016. Because if I were to quit and get a job even though the money would be handy I would be working for three years (until I was 23) also a waste of time doing something I don't like and would probably be just as miserable as I was doing the arts course :L I dunno it's a toughie but I really appreciate your advice on the course I just don't want to waste another three years working instead of starting the course I know I will love.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fairytots

I 100% agree that it would be a shame to leave your course after putting so much work in... 1 year is all you have left, stick with it, and have the degree in your back pocket - its always something to fall back on. Although you dont like it very much at the moment, there is a reason you started it - you must have liked the idea when you started? Midwifery will always be there for you, its not going anywhere in a hurry - unless people randomly stop having babies :) never gonna happen. Just also to add - many of my class mates at the time, held down part time positions on top of the course, its tough but doable. The course is full time mon-fri, but evening and weekend work should be no bother!

Best of luck, and I hope your midwifery dreams come true, its an absolute honor to be there and watch a little person take their first breath, I'll never forget the first delivery I did :) Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 atsural

In first year midwifery if you have any questions about the course/placement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My girlfriend is looking to do Midwifery in Trinity, but she doesn't think she'll get the points, are they're any courses guaranteed that after a 2 years she'll get midwifery, like a level 7?

• Advertisement
Advertisement