Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone or not?

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I would like to have a smartphone of course, but the reason i don't have one yet is quiet frankly the cost of the phone if you go pay as you go and the lengthy contract if you go bill pay.

It would be handy to have for banking, football results and countless other things im sure but I cant see why it is really worth the cost, when i can check all these things on a laptop or at a computer in work.

Unless i can find a better price than €35 per month on bill pay, i think i will continue using the brick i have now.

Any suggestions on bill pay options that i may have over looked would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you looked at e-Mobile? My husband & I were in the same boat. Wanted a smartphone, but didn't want to pay silly money either for the phone or the tariff as we're not heavy users.

We're both on a tariff that costs us E15 monthly each on a 18 month contract. The phones have the data turned off, so we can't inadvertently use it (either here or abroad), and we don't make many calls. If we need to use the smartphone features, then there are plenty of free wi-fi spots where we can quickly check mail, etc or use the internet at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

No I am PAYG at the moment. How much data do you know is with PAYG plans from €10-€20 a month??

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Sean_pop wrote: »
    No I am PAYG at the moment. How much data do you know is with PAYG plans from €10-€20 a month??

There are some great smart phones available for under a €100, particularly last season models. Differences between the newest and previous model of any brand are usually minor, and if you've never had a smart phone, you won't notice the difference. You'd be able to stick with PAYG and change to bill pay if you want to upgrade.
    The major thing would be the OS you're looking for. If you want iOS/iphone, it's going to cost you. There's a huge choice of androids, so you can something on any budget. Windows are a bit more limited and you really get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

If I were you I'd go for a Moto g from meteor(€150), €2 to get unlocked on eBay and then go for Threes €20 a month prepay deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you can have a smartphone and have cheap payg turn off data and use viber or skpy or google voice

they had this for 89 euro its 100 pounds now but price changes,its sim free so you can move it around

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-Free-Windows-Smartphone/dp/B00BM24PMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390014966&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+520

heres a good deal on payg
    they use o2 service some people say its no good outside towns I don't know

http://www.48months.ie/deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I'd recommend going android over windows phone. Windows store is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Mobiles forum

dudara

Have you looked at e-Mobile? My husband & I were in the same boat. Wanted a smartphone, but didn't want to pay silly money either for the phone or the tariff as we're not heavy users.

We're both on a tariff that costs us E15 monthly each on a 18 month contract. The phones have the data turned off, so we can't inadvertently use it (either here or abroad), and we don't make many calls. If we need to use the smartphone features, then there are plenty of free wi-fi spots where we can quickly check mail, etc or use the internet at home.

I would like to stay away from any sort of contract as I know a couple of people said they had nothing but problems. I be like yourself, I don't actually use my phone alot. But some of the features that smartphones offer, would be ideal for checking emails banking etc.

• Advertisement

you can have a smartphone and have cheap payg turn off data and use viber or skpy or google voice

they had this for 89 euro its 100 pounds now but price changes,its sim free so you can move it around

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-Free-Windows-Smartphone/dp/B00BM24PMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390014966&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+520

heres a good deal on payg
    they use o2 service some people say its no good outside towns I don't know

http://www.48months.ie/deal

This sounds very interesting. I will have a look into this thanks:)

Advertisement