Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back paid rent allowance

Options
  • 17-01-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi there I've been on back to education allowance at the full rate and living away from home...was told recently that I am entitled to rent allowance and I might be able to get my allowance backpaid from the commencement of my lease, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or can tell me if this is true or false...cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Before you even apply you need to be renting privately for 6months ,and be accessed as having a housing need by your local authority ie get accepted on to the housing list ,
    And then your landlord must be willing to accept it as well

It certainly won't be back dated to the beginning of your lease ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Gatling wrote: »
    Before you even apply you need to be renting privately for 6months ,and be accessed as having a housing need by your local authority ie get accepted on to the housing list ,
    And then your landlord must be willing to accept it as well

It certainly won't be back dated to the beginning of your lease ,

AND/OR not both. You either have to have been renting privately for 6 months OR have been accepted onto the local authority housing list. Not both, but obviously if you are seeking rent allowance you should be looking into getting onto the housing list.

Do not let a CWO fob you off and tell you it needs to be both because it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If you are eligible, you can only get RA from the date you applied. You cannot get it backpaid.

Advertisement