Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation problem in apartment.

Options
  • 17-01-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I'm not sure if someone has had this issue here before but I'd appreciate some help.

I have severe condensation problems in my one bed apartment. I think it's from all the clothes drying. I don't have a dryer, just a washing machine. I also have 2 cats that live indoors and I'm on the 4th floor so opening windows isn't exactly an option unless I sit by it and make sure they don't jump out.

I was thinking of getting a dehumidifier but they seem to be all starting from €150 upwards for anything that looks half decent. I was also looking at the JML Dri Buddi, (http://www.jmldirect.com/eu/laundry/dri-buddi/invt/d04db10100000001/) which got some good reviews, and people were saying it would dramatically cut down on drying time for clothes and get rid of some of the condensation in my apartment. I'm just wondering which would be better for me to get? I'd love to have my clothes dried quicker, too, so I think I'll go for the Dri Buddi. I just wanted to know if a dehumidifier will help dry my clothes too? And would one dehumidifier be enough for the entire apartment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Are you renting? If so, then your landlord is legally obliged to provide a means to dry clothes indoors (ie a dryer or washer/dryer combo).

Those Dry Buddi things are supposedly pretty decent but are quite small.

If you are getting big condensation problems then you will need to invest in a decent dehumidifier, or if you are going to spend they money they maybe a proper dryer might make more sense.

You really need to be opening windows though if you are drying clothes indoors. Cats arent stupid; they are not generally in the habit of jumping out 4th floor windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Your LL needs to supply you with a dryer or washer/dryer. You wouldn't want to be drying all your clothes in one though...would cost a fortune

So you'll still want to hang some of your stuff to dry. And if condensation as a result of you not opening the windows results in damp on the ceiling and walls, then that isn't the LLs fault. You need to ventilate the apartment, cats or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

In all fairness, I don't think that JML yoke would help you. I don't see how it would extract moisture from the air. In fact, it looks like it'd do the opposite.

A dehumidifier will help you, certainly. Something like this is only just over twice the price of the JML thing and will do a decent job:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0523051/Trail/searchtext%3EDEHUMIDIFIER.htm

However, fresh air is also necessary in apartment living, so I'd look at getting some framed mesh panels that would stop your cats getting through an open window, but would allow air to in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leighface

Hey, thanks for the supplies. I own the apartment so anything like this is up to me to solve.

Would one dehumidifier be enough for the entire apartment? And does that assist in drying clothes at all?

And one of my cats did manage to jump out the window before. Probably chasing a bird or something. She's been almost terrified of the window since though so I don't think she expected it at all.

But I'd need a solution that will work in cold winter days like we're having when opening a window isn't a great option either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Keep the dehumidifier in the room where you dry clothes or where the most condensation occurs. Occasionally rotate it through the rest of the rooms. That's what I'd suggest.

You can also get silica pellet chemical dehumidifying trays that are suitable for inside a wardrobe. You could leave these on windowsills where there's high condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You can get a condenser dryer in Power City for about €250; if youre not prepared to open windows then this is the route that Id be going. A dehumifier will help (one will not do the whole apartment btw), but ultimately you are putting moisture into the air and then tackling the problem afterwards. With a proper dryer there is no moisture in the air at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I would invest in a dryer also. I know sometimes space can be hard found in an apartment, but get a condenser dryer with a good energy rating, and you will be wondering how you managed without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

How willing are people to jump on its the landlords problem, turns out the guy owns the place,
    It might work out to be comparable to getting some of your washing done at a launderette? In a house with a washing line outside, with the weather, have had to get towels and bedding done at at a cleaners as the weather is cold and wet.
    Even in a place bigger than a one bedroom apt, with somewhere to dry stuff, the heating has to be on and it needs to be able to vent otherwise the warm moist air will condense on cold surfaces and give up water.

Ventilation and heating is the key in properties, its an absolute requirement Id say, you cant keep windows shut up, pets will get used to open windows or else put up grills, or you will be plagued with mould problems.

I have a condenser dryer but its rarely used, its a sensor type so it turns itself off, Ive heard of some kind of heat pump dryer that might be more efficient, presumably that reuses some of the heat it gives off ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

A good dehumidifier will do the trick. Leave it in whichever room you use least and leave the doors open while you are at work. It will do the job while you are out. You can get more expensive ones that are nearly silent too and leave them on all night too.

That dri buddy will actually cause condensation.

Advertisement