Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out alone in Dublin

Options
  • 17-01-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Feels a bit sad that I even have to ask advice on this. Basically, I've only got a couple of close friends and they are in long term relationships so are always busy at the weekends. I'd genuinely prefer to do anything than sit in every Friday/Saturday night so I've been debating heading out alone. Has anyone here done this before, and if so where would you recommend going? I like nightclubs so I was thinking of Coppers, basically somewhere I wouldn't get noticed on my own. Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you like niteclubs then any would do as you can just do your own thing anyway. Are you happy enough to approach groups of strangers and chat away?

This might interest you if you want a night out to meet new people
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057097684

Alternatively there is another thread here that mentions meetup groups for people such as yourself
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

If you feel like hitting the clubs by yourself just do it. Don't let what anyone else would do affect your decision.

If I was in your situation I'd be inclined to use something like www.meetup.com where you meet up with people with similar intertests.

Think last time I looked they had a going out group.

Good Luck and fair play for making the decision to take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If you are happy enough making small talk with randomers hen why wouldn't you consider going out on your own?

As you said, in clubs/large pubs it won't be noticed unless you spend the whole night in the one spot that is, then it looks a bit weird!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Did it a lot travelling over the summer, went out on my own most of the time. Was fine and you make loads of friends. However you don't have a choice, you have to. It's more difficult at home. It's doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

Circulate between pubs and then when you are inside a pub or nightclub circulate and chat up women. Temple Bar is a great place for chatting up women on the street too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Circulate between pubs and then when you are inside a pub or nightclub circulate and chat up women. Temple Bar is a great place for chatting up women on the street too.

Cheers, appreciate the advice. It's great even as a solo lad? Also, any clubs in particular you'd recommend other than coppers for a someone goin solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

LaughOrDie wrote: »
    If I was in your situation I'd be inclined to use something like www.meetup.com

I'd second Meetup - here are some suggestions of groups that might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

sometimes did this by accident, usually easy to do in a quiet pub first perhaps early in the night, I used to have to wait for lads to come out they were students and skint so used to drink in the flat I couldn't be arsed so I usually had a few pints in a pub watchin soccer or rugby game, its easy to have a few quiet pints early in the night in a quietish pub usually loads of men on their own watching a game or just getting aaway from the missus for a while! then when you have a few much easier to mingle round pubs, I remember one or two nights I didn't actually end up meeting the people I was supposed to in the end. Sure you know how when you head out in say a group of 3 or 4 and you head to a pub then coppers how many times have u met the people u came in with at end of night, espically if one or two are not single they prob tip home at 2 while others are still prowling round! sat nights after big GAA games are usually good for this! although it is hard initially when in a busy pub you kinda need a base or a wing man but can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

Can be done, no doubt about it. Not gonna meet new people sat at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've done it a few times, plenty of pubs have people up for the chats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 helpwanted01

Planning on hitting town tonight.

Anyone up for meeting for a few social pints somewhere in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

My boyfriend runs a pub and lots of people come in on their own, in fact some have even made friends through the pub so why not find a friendly local. It doesn't even have to be near where you live, just somewhere you can go in for a friendly pint that can lead anywhere. You will never make friends in a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Feels a bit sad that I even have to ask advice on this. Basically, I've only got a couple of close friends and they are in long term relationships so are always busy at the weekends. I'd genuinely prefer to do anything than sit in every Friday/Saturday night so I've been debating heading out alone. Has anyone here done this before, and if so where would you recommend going? I like nightclubs so I was thinking of Coppers, basically somewhere I wouldn't get noticed on my own. Cheers for any suggestions.

A crowded club would probably be your best bet there as you can blend in. I've never done it in a pub as it would probably look more obvious that you're alone. I tried it a few times in clubs. I got chatting to a few women but other than that it was pretty uneventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Go to www.meetup.com. There are groups for everything including some that go out clubbing every weekend. The bonus is that you will make new friends as well.

Advertisement