Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers for charity

Options
  • 17-01-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I work for a charity in Cork city. We need new computers/laptops for our office but our budget is extrememly limited so we're hoping to get old (still functioning) computers donated to us. Does anyone know of any businesses that pass on their old computers to charity or any other organisations that would be worth contacting?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Keep an eye on the free computer section of adverts ? Adverts Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lou in Cork

That's great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/community/computers-more.html

Do you mind me asking how many computers do you think you need? Are there any special requirements or is it just for basic stuff?

Microsoft, Google and several other companies all do great things for nonprofit charities such as supplying their software or services free or at very low prices. It depends on what type of charity you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lou in Cork

That's great thanks, I''ll look into it now. We need 2 or 3 laptops or computers for basic use. They are required for a fund raising office so would be used for things such as maintaining a volunteer database, maintaining the chaity's website, email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hi,
    Does anyone know of any businesses that pass on their old computers to charity or any other organisations that would be worth contacting?

Thanks.

Just a warning not to take on something that will be more hassle than its worth- A whole office of old computers - possibly unreliable - often donated without their harddrives (security reasons) out of date Operating Systems and low ram sounds like a lot of work to get and keep going. They were usually ditched for a reason...

Saying that, there was a place in South Dublin a few years ago - volunteers who completely refurbished donated pcs and re-donated them to charity - advertised once on nationwide - but I cannot find the name now sorry.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ozmo wrote: »
    Saying that, there was a place in South Dublin a few years ago - volunteers who completely refurbished donated pcs and re-donated them to charity - advertised once on nationwide - but I cannot find the name now sorry.

That was Camara.

But I thought they all went to Africa not indigenous charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

That was Camara.

THey've changed in recent years, while i understand they still do the Africa thing, they also have grown their footprint into indegenous areas (schools particularly).

They would be worth a shout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

That was Camara.

Name doesn't ring a bell - thought there was one that redonated locally - but maybe that's the one ok - might be worth a shot allright.

But DIY? I've done a lot of re-purposing of older machines over the years to get them up to standard again - time consuming if fun projects - but I wouldn't trust them for mission critical run-the-company work.

Might not cost as much as you think if you can get new gear from a low cost wholesaler like www.openlogic.ie rather than going to some of the big name brands.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement