Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

Options
  • 17-01-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this is another home network thread and I have looked through a lot of threads already and gotten lots of good info but still unsure as how to proceed with my own setup.

I have cat5e wired to the kitchen, master bedroom, office and living room.
    They all come back to the utility where the main line also comes in.

Current wiring is as follows:
    Main Cat5 has - blue & blue white to connector 1
    Alarm wire has - blue & blue white to connector 1
    - orange to connector 2
    - orange white to connector 3
    Office Cat 5 has - blue white to connector 2
    - blue to connector 3
    The office then has a standard phone plate connected with the blue/blue white with a splitter for the router and phone.

What I want to do is move the router to the utility and put it on a switch and be able to connect all other points. I want to have the phone in the kitchen and change the office to a cat5 point also.

My main problem is the alarm and phone setup.

Is a switch only for internet our can you run a phone through it also?

Any help on how to set this up properly would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Wobs wrote: »

A switch looks at 'layer 2' traffic in order to forward data to specific ports. This means that it is looking for a specific data structure from devices connected to it. So traditional phones, alarms will not work via a switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Wobs wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is another home network thread and I have looked through a lot of threads already and gotten lots of good info but still unsure as how to proceed with my own setup.

I have cat5e wired to the kitchen, master bedroom, office and living room.
    They all come back to the utility where the main line also comes in.

Current wiring is as follows:
    Main Cat5 has - blue & blue white to connector 1
    Alarm wire has - blue & blue white to connector 1
    - orange to connector 2
    - orange white to connector 3
    Office Cat 5 has - blue white to connector 2
    - blue to connector 3
    The office then has a standard phone plate connected with the blue/blue white with a splitter for the router and phone.

What I want to do is move the router to the utility and put it on a switch and be able to connect all other points. I want to have the phone in the kitchen and change the office to a cat5 point also.

My main problem is the alarm and phone setup.

Any help on how to set this up properly would be appreciated!

What you need is a patch panel which you use to terminate the network cables to rj45 sockets and then plug in the ones you require for network to a switch. What you describe above sounds like a mess, should have been terminated better and plugged in
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAT5E-24-PORT-PATCH-PANEL-RACK-MOUNT-FREE-SHIPPING-TUFF-JACKS-QUALITY-/380811621026?pt=US_Networking_Patch_Panels&hash=item58aa2432a2

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Thanks Guys,

Thats what I thought re the switch. Re the patch my understanding is they are just to tidy up the wires, or am I wrong?

Ok so say I was starting from scratch and I have my main cat5 coming in from the outside to a central location where I also have 4 cat5 and an alarm. I want 1 phone line, 3 ethernet points and the alarm wired from here, whats the best way to wire it all?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"I have my main cat5 coming in from the outside to a central location"

That's your phone line. Terminate it with RJ11 where you want your router to go. Use a dual plate with shared wiring. You can get these from most hardware stores

"where I also have 4 cat5"

Each on a different straight run of cable, terminated both ends in a RJ45 port. Four ends at the central location and one in each room. Make sure they are labelled. You can get standard four port RJ45 wall plates. So that leaves you with 2 standard wall plates.

"and an alarm"

If its in the same room, great.

"I want 1 phone line 3 ethernet points and the alarm wired from here"

Put your normal DSL splitter on one of the RJ11 ports in the wall. One cable to the router, one to the alarm. Plug the remaining RJ11 port(on another splitter I think) into the one of the RJ45 port thats in the room you want the phone line. RJ11 is compatible with properly wired RJ45 ports.

Plug the remaining 3 RJ45 ports using patch cable into the remaining ports on the back of the router. You don't need a switch, its been a long time since I've seen a router that doesn't have a four port switch in it.

You then have 3 live Data points, 1 live telephone point and everything in a central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Thanks Cuddlesworth,

I think I can follow that (but I may be back to ya:D)

Think I have most of what I need too!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement